Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This rookie made one tonight. I'm making a garbage bag holding thing for the back of the bathroom cabinet doors, my last punchlist item for the bathroom remodel.
I decided to dabble with mortise and tenon and halved joints and use no fasteners. I made a practice M&T and was reasonably happy with that.
I cut all the stock, dadoed out all the halved joints and was setting up the dado for the tenon. I get the depth all dialed in and then I remembered the fancy stop that came with the Incra miter guide. I dig that out, run the dado up a bit to calibrate it for length, and
FORGET TO RE-SET THE DEPTH!
ZZZIng there goes about half the tenon. WHat THE!
I ponder this for a bit, and realize the back side of this through tenon is up against the cabinet door. Rather than dice up some more cherry, I dig through the bin of scrap and find the perfect little wedge pieces. No one will know, right?
That's why I posted this here, to remind me. :oops:

·
Registered
242 Posts
LOL, those are not rookie mistakes, we all do things like that. If you aint makin mistakes, you aint workin. I hide or rebuild as needed on projects.
I always make at least one extra for my uh, oh boards.

·
John
3,028 Posts
:laughing::laughing: Be careful. If you keep figuring out fixes like that you'll soon lose your rookie status:laughing:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dimensions were off a bit too, regarding the standard grocery sack "ears". I had to modify it some. I'll try and find a 'facebook' angle to take a decent picture of it :smile:

·
Registered
834 Posts
It's not a mistake it's a learning process at least that's what I like to say.

Reactions: jharris2

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Laughing but not at you!

I once jacked up one stile of a cabinet door frame.

I was cutting a rabbet on the back side to accept a glass panel.

My set up was on the money.

Problem was I forgot to lock down my router fence. This was after I had cut rosettes and fluted the style between them.

@#$%&*®£©^π!!!!!!!!!!!

The upside? I still have all my digits.

I hung that stile in my shop until I had developed the habit of double checking all my lock downs.

Welcome to the human race my friend!

;)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The only difference between a rookie and a pro is learning how to hide or fix your mistakes. I make them all the time. Lol!! Thanks for sharing!!!
One of the guys I learned a LOT from used to say, "There ain't NO screw up that I can't 'fix' "...

I saw him 'fix' a lot of stuff over the years that he did NOT mess up in the first place... He 'fixed' em though. :yes:

·
Registered
611 Posts
I made two funny mistakes today. I noticed that my table saw was kicking up a lot more dust than usual. I remembered to turn the DC on, so what's the problem? I forgot to connect the hose to the table. I vowed never to make that mistake again.

Ten minutes later my router table was, you guessed it, kicking up a lot more dust than usual. Yes,I forgot to connect the DC hose.

But the second one was a new mistake, because it's a different machine, right?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Laughing!

It doesn't work if its not hooked up.

Still its probably more effective than my DC setup (the hair in my nose).

;)

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I always seem to have the wrong blast gate open at the wrong time. Your not the only one doing that one.

As for cutting screw-ups, just the other day I was cutting the last of all the dovetails I had to cut....and when I went to put it together one set of pins was facing the wrong way. And to make it worse....I had no more surfaces wood ready. So back out came the planner. An hour later I had a piece with the pins facing the right way.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
That's an easy mistake to make.

Keeping workpieces oriented properly during the process has me constantly marking them "top, bottom, front, back, left, right, A, B, C...etc.

I use masking tape and a sharpie

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
I once made a pair of mortise and tenon raised panel doors that were each an inch too wide to fit the opening. And I swore to myself I'd measured twice. So, I very carefully ripped right beside one stile, reraised that side of the panel, cut the rails to the right length, and made a loose tenon for those rails. The whole time I was drilling out the old tenons to make the new mortises, I was shaking my head. At least it was long, instead of short.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.