Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are feather boards and there are rollers with feeders, is there some sort of roller that takes the place of feather boards?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Directional feed rollers are available.
I have Board Buddies that will work clockwise, counterclockwise, and neutral. Yellow, green, and orange.
They work.:thumbsup:
I have used 'em on the RAS, TS and router table.
Bill

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the replies, I had seen them board buddies before but never thought much of them.

I will look into them tomorrow

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Thank you all for the replies, I had seen them board buddies before but never thought much of them.

I will look into them tomorrow
I had a set of board buddies for my old contractor saw. I wasn't impressed. I gave them to another woodworker at work. In about a month he asked permission to "donate" them.

I guess that the score is two/nil.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I have a set of board buddies. Seem pretty cumbersome to set up on a small contractor saw. Mostly stick with feather boards. :smile:

·
where's my table saw?
28,738 Posts
agreed

I have a set of board buddies. Seem pretty cumbersome to set up on a small contractor saw. Mostly stick with feather boards. :smile:
When tryng to push material through with a push stick you have to jump over the rollers each time. A featherboard has a lower profile and can be easily worked around and over the top.

These rollers are mounted on the Biesemeyer fence on my Powermatic 12: table saw. They do get in the way:

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Not trying to pile on but.....have tried the board buddy's a cpl times and it just ends in frustration.And then to lumber wrestling.

Lost my camera again,so can't take pics of a roller "head" we built for something or other?Anyway.....it uses old skate bd wheels.They're a little softer duro than the new ones.But the thing is "shift on the fly" for pressure.It started life as a Grizzly DP vise,a cheap one.Little snip,snip here....snip,there....mount wheels and done.Heck I even painted it.

We have all many of feather bds,guards that are work holders,power feeders,yada,yada.....but the little "wheeler dealer" above gets used right much.I'll find the camera,hopefully today.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I adapted a Vega Stock Feeder to my xacta fence on my Unisaw. it works great to keep the stock down on the table and against the fence. I don't use the antikickback part.
I like being able to just slide them unit down the fence, out of the way, when not needed.

Attachments

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
I have a set I'd gladly donate. They've been hanging on a pegboard since shortly after buying them. Same problems others have noted. Purchased Plastic feather boards work better for me.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
When tryng to push material through with a push stick you have to jump over the rollers each time. A featherboard has a lower profile and can be easily worked around and over the top.

These rollers are mounted on the Biesemeyer fence on my Powermatic 12: table saw. They do get in the way:

I have the same set of rollers, and I use them more than a feather board. I'm usually able to get behind them with a wooden push stick except for very thin rips, where the feather board is better.

BTW like your home made riving knife - thanks for the idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts