Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been at this for three years and this is my latest project. I have yet to make the perfect project and this is no exception. But, either my mistakes are getting less obvious or I am learning to hide them better. Thought I would share a few thoughts with you all.
Some things I am getting better at:
1. Picking out rough sawn lumber. I have found that I am much more patient with this process if I pee before I go! (Sometimes the best solutions are the most obvious)
2. Paying attention to grain direction and grain matching before glue up. I used to be just tickled I could make a wider board out of skinny boards.
3. Slowing down. I spent 35 years as a power plant operator trying to accomplish things as fast as I could. Slowing down is tougher than it sounds.

Some things I am still working on:
1. Dados. I seem to be having some problem with consistency as they will sometimes get a little loose.
2. Buying the right amount of lumber. I usually end up making at least two trips to the sawmill.
3. Letting looses of a little extra cash and buying premium limber. It almost always pays off.

Thanks for listening.

Lar

P.S. I tried to download more pictures but it would only take the one. File size too big?

image.jpg

·
where's my table saw?
28,580 Posts
nice desk

Your question re file size, that's not an issue. The size of each photo is limited by the site, usually 97 KB or so for jpg or gif. To resize them use resizing program or Paint in Microsoft. It wants them to be 620 wide by 480 high. You should really have no problems unloading more than one...but you must wait until they all upload... it may take a few minutes.

Right click on your photo. Then click on "View image info" you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Nice wood and workmanship. Thanks for the laughs- at 63 number 1 becomes more and more critical............:laughing:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kind words

Thanks all for the kind words and encouragement.

I also love the design which is one reason I attempted it. The design and plans came from Woodsmithshop.com. I love their directions. The tambour door was surprisingly easy. The most nerve wracking part was taking a router to the door sides to make the door groove. One slip and a beautiful piece of wood would be ruined. I then finished it with Minwax Cherrywood Gel stain and two coats of tung oil.

Here is one more picture but still having trouble getting more than one to upload at a time. I am on an iPad if anyone has a suggestion on what I am doing wrong. THANKS!
image.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts