Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my lathe on Friday and I could find a manual for it either. Seems the model number doesn't even exist. Possible a special model for Schools?!? I'm mainly wondering about the 4 pulleys at the head. I had to take the lathe bed of the base to get down into the basement and set it up how it was prior but it's not quite right. Any help would be great. I don't have a picture of the variable speed section but can get one if wanted.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The model is 46 595. It's date is around 1980 but not sure on that.

The rack and pinion for the vs drive does not allow it to go the full scale for speed. But not sure if it is to do with how I mounted the motor. I'll have to get a picture but should the motor be stationary or should it move freely with the slotted guide and pivot where it mounts on hinge at back side?

·
Registered
328 Posts
The motor needs to be turning while the speed is adjusted. It's a manual system. It shouldn't be too hard to get it right. Someone probably moved the lever when the machine wasn't running. I have one very similar. I'll look for the manual, or I can look in the machine if I can't find the manual. It's not a special machine just for schools. That was the high end lathe in its day.

It's the same as previous and later Delta lathes. It's just from the few years when Rockwell owned the company. Mine is a Delta but looks just like yours. If I'm remembering right, the Delta model number is 46-541

Probably worth getting this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELTA-Rockw...08716?pt=BI_Books_Manuals&hash=item484497418c

Do a search on these forums for Delta 46-541 and you should find a number of people who have one. Mine is nowhere near the house, and I will be gone for at least a week until I can get my hands on mine.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tom King said:
The motor needs to be turning while the speed is adjusted. It's a manual system. It shouldn't be too hard to get it right. Someone probably moved the lever when the machine wasn't running.
I think my problem is a combo of lining up the rack and gear in the correct spot. I found a delta model manual online at http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/1466.pdf. but it does not go into details about setup or the 4 pulleys that are in my headstock.

Here us some of the stuff I got with the lathe also a duplicator not pictured.

Not sure what everything is that's pictured such as the green handle with half moon.

The drive centres are not perfect with evidence of being dropped in the past.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts