Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm restoring a floor model Rockwell drill press model 1124 which i am pretty sure its almost identical to the 15-081.

This was a barnyard machine. Covered in grime and rust, and not taken care of well, at all. The table was broken and bolted to a janky weld up job, among other half-a** "fixes". One of those "fixes" im just realizing, is how the chuck is mounted to the spindle.

I know these presses typically have a collar that threads onto the chuck, and then onto the spindle, to keep it from falling off during use. Mine came with the threaded male end of the collar which is mounted onto the spindle, but the chuck that was mounted, did not have the male threaded portion, nor did it come with the collar to lock the two together.

When I turned it on, it sounded good, but the chuck was really wobbly. I just removed the chuck using a couple of thick wedges i found on ebay. I noticed the PO used a small piece of sheet metal to wedge the chuck onto the spindle, because it seems either that the spindle wasnt pressed down far enough for the chuck to seat properly when the quill bearings were replaced (if they were), or the chuck/spindle werent a correct match.

As you can imagine, the end of the spindle where the chuck is supposed to seat is marred in a couple spots (see attached images). I've read that this is no good for keeping the chuck seated properly, as both mating surfaces have to be essentially completely free of knicks and scratches.

I'm pretty sure I will have to replace both the quill and the chuck. However, I'm on a budget. I have found a couple jacobs no 34 chucks (like the one i have currently) in good condition on ebay for a reasonable price (no more than $50 usd). Anyone have an references as far as a replacement spindle goes? I'm not even sure what type of taper is on this quill. Also, since im really new to this, what type of chuck/spindle combo would you all recommend thats not going to break the bank? I dont care for a keyless chuck.

I guess my concern is finding a spindle that will fit the quill and bearings needed for this press. I'm not positive what size bearings it takes yet, as I've not pulled them out at the moment. I'll attach pictures of everything I've discussed, as well as pictures of approx. measurements for more info.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Zayne

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the pictures:

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts