Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I'm new here and looking for a little help figuring out if I need a key for a pulley on this machine. The saw used to belong to my brother till I helped him sell it to my buddy, now there is a problem so I feel like I should help him fix it. The motor turns a belt which then turns a pulley on the saw blade shaft, this pulley has a key way as does the shaft. There is also a set screw in the pulley right in the key-way. Does there need to be a key in this slot or does the set screw engage the slot in the shaft? Apparently, the set screw came loose and the pulley walked off the shaft, chewing itself up in the process. I was lucky enough to find a new pulley, but I'm not sure if I should use a key. Thanks for any help!...Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I was also thinking ,since the set screw is actually wider than the key way, it could be there to press on the key to lock the pulley in position...Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I found the exact same pulley on e-bay for five bucks. Like a dummy I overlooked ordering a key, so now I'm waiting for that to arrive. I'll bring a small file to clean up the key way on the shaft as well. Thanks for all the help!...Mike

·
7,222 Posts
Key stock should be available at a local hardware store.

Just measure, width, height and length. Normally in a set of bins for such special items.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the help! I have a key coming, just wish I would have thought of it when I ordered the other parts:no:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts