Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my back-ordered plate for my router table. Now have to rout out the opening.

In keeping with my goal of using on-hand materials as much as possible, I'm thinking of forming a template of four mdf pieces (laid around the plate and secured w/carpet tape) as opposed to spending $10 or so on Rockler's template. My question is w/regard to the rounded corners on Rockler's plate.

My reading on the Rockler site indicates that one would use a 1/2" pattern bit with their template. However, with the technique I've looked at on-line, the corners of the formed template are square. Near as I can determine, the Rockler plate has 3/8" radius corners.

If I use a 3/4" pattern bit, and rout into the square template corners, will that give me the correct fit?

I do plan to try on a piece of scrap first, but would like to at least start out headed in the correct direction.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Finally got my back-ordered plate for my router table. Now have to rout out the opening.

In keeping with my goal of using on-hand materials as much as possible, I'm thinking of forming a template of four mdf pieces (laid around the plate and secured w/carpet tape) as opposed to spending $10 or so on Rockler's template. My question is w/regard to the rounded corners on Rockler's plate.

My reading on the Rockler site indicates that one would use a 1/2" pattern bit with their template. However, with the technique I've looked at on-line, the corners of the formed template are square. Near as I can determine, the Rockler plate has 3/8" radius corners.

If I use a 3/4" pattern bit, and rout into the square template corners, will that give me the correct fit?

I do plan to try on a piece of scrap first, but would like to at least start out headed in the correct direction.
That should work for you. The only thing about a template bit is it needs to be fully extended before you get any control from the bearing. You will need to balance the thickness of the guide strips (I'm assuming you will just use guide strips and not a full blown template) and the depth of cut with the cutting length of the bit. Another way would be to offset the guide strips 1/8" on each side (1/4" larger than the plate overall) and use a 1" guide bushing with a 3/4" straight bit. Either way, I would also double face tape a piece of scrap the same thickness as the guides/template to the router base plate to help balance the router and reduce the chance of tipping.
Once you get a wide enough groove around to serve as a rabbet, you can just cut the waste out of the middle with a jigsaw.
Good Luck:smile:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts