Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
oregoncarver
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, I pulled out my homemade jig for sharpening the lathe tools and put a nice edge on my 1967 Craftsman Professional set of lathe tools I got from my dad before he passed away and buy do they cut nice now. When the Rockler sales person returned there I knew there had to be a problem. The rockler one is rounded on the shaft which I think would make it hard to keep at a 45 degree angle all the time.

Just glad I have a good set of tools to play with yet.

Arthur

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I prefer a rounded shaft. It isn't important to keep the tool at 45 degrees. In fact you can use it from about 25 degrees from flat all the way to 90 degrees. As you learn to use the tool while rubbing it's bevel you will find that you end up more or less 45 degrees but again the angle isn't critical.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Exactly John, I more or less using the smaller angle when roughing out my figure and then using the greater angle near the end to minimize sanding. One good thing about the tool is that it does cut down on sanding, therefore saving oneself a little money to put forth some more tools or ornate wood.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts