Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Birding Psychosis
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this a few months ago with a 22" handle. Much better than the Sorby Hollowmaster or the Easy Wood Tools Mid-sized hollower (and much cheaper than the Carter and Son's hollowing tools!). The length gives me great leverage; I'm not afraid of the tool moving me around at all. I just tilt the blade till I hear the sweet cutting sound and back off when I notice too much vibration from the spinning wood. I made a cute video of it in action. The song from Highlander popped into my head when I went into Ace Hardware with that handle:

https://youtu.be/H2olZofI4Xw

The wall thickness gauge is made from a drum cymbal arm (since I can't set my drums up where I live now) and a door stopper spring (inspired by Dave of D-Way Tools). It's also a great work out to hold with the cymbal arm/wall thickness gauge attachment to it. Though the video was edited to be much faster than actual time, I can do all that in 2 hours.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
You need to hold your hand on the drill chuck when reversing. MT is not made to withstand pulling. It will come out of the socket and fly around likely breaking something. I speak from experience.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Good video. Looks like a fun project. I gave up on the spring idea and started using the laser as a thickness guide. However I'm probably going to change over to the Trent Bosch Video thickness gauge shortly. I bought the camera before I moved but didn't around to buying a monitor. I'll probably do that shortly because I have some hollowing to do and want to give it a try.

·
Birding Psychosis
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to hold your hand on the drill chuck when reversing. MT is not made to withstand pulling. It will come out of the socket and fly around likely breaking something. I speak from experience.
I haven't had that happen. I usually give MT2 chucks a few whacks with a rubber mallet when inserting them. Sometimes they still come loose, but driving the bit into the wood seats them back firmly. I'll keep that in mind next time though, thanks.

·
Birding Psychosis
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good video. Looks like a fun project. I gave up on the spring idea and started using the laser as a thickness guide. However I'm probably going to change over to the Trent Bosch Video thickness gauge shortly. I bought the camera before I moved but didn't around to buying a monitor. I'll probably do that shortly because I have some hollowing to do and want to give it a try.
I did try the laser way, but the laser would wiggle around too much and the battery cap on the back of it vibrated off/unscrewed itself into a trashcan of wood chips under my lathe (never found it). It was more awkward trying to hold the cymbal arm vertical with the laser. I think lasers would work better for articulated arm hollowing or something that really supports the tool well.

Glad you liked the video. I started off trying to hollow bowling pins with hammer/chisel, various hole saws with the drill (ouch, my arms/wrists!), a plunge router with a circle guide and various bits. I was trying to save money by not getting a lathe, but I probably could've gotten a Powermatic through all those other ventures. It's fun to learn and figure out how to do things more efficiently. Woodworking is a constant learning and growing process. I like coming up with stuff and sometimes it works out. It's a mini adventure and keeps me out of trouble. Heh.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts