Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A craft project of mine requires ruler-size pine stock, i.e., 1 1/8" wide and 5/32" thick. Although there are millions of rulers out there with that cross section, be darned if I could find any blank stock for sale.

There's a local hardware store that sells pine strips that are 1 1/8" x 1/4". Could those strips be stood on edge and ripped to 5/32" thickness on a table saw, or would the stuff be too flimsy to stand up to the ripping?

I don't have a table saw myself, so I'll have to have someone do this for me, and I just want to make sure it can be done without any problems.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I just want to make sure it can be done without any problems.
A couple little bites through a planer would do it. I couldn't ever get that close on a table saw. Pine is kinda soft, but with sharp knives on the thickness planer straight grained (no knots) should work ok. What sort of stuff are you working on that needs to be in 1/32" ? If that doesn't work (the power planer) set up side rails on a board that are 1 1/8" apart and are 5/32" tall made of metal, put the stock in between them and hand plane/power sand down to the top of the rails.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Personally, I don't see a problem with it as long as the stock is good to begin with. I rip 1/8" stock fairly frequently. I position the clean, sharp blade just proud of the stock and use a push stick that will catch both pieces.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually did have a cabinet maker run some strips through his planer, but he said they were prone to chipping. He did manage to sand them down to the desired thickness, however. After the trouble he had, I thought that maybe stock could directly be sawed to size in a much simpler operation.

What about planing a plank to 1 1/8" thickness and ripping 5/32" strips from it? Wouldn't that be the way the ruler stock is produced?

I need this particular thickness for fins on a foot-long, sling-thrown dart weapon described in Greek and Latin texts. My prototype fins were made from hardware store rulers, and now that I've got my historical re-creation of the device to work, I'd like to have fin stock on hand that doesn't have writing or markings on it. Craft wood is available in thicknesses of 1/8" and 3/16", but the former is too flimsy, and the latter is too thick. The hardware rulers were just right, and I was very surprised that blank stock of 5/32" thickness was nowhere to be had.

·
Registered
714 Posts
What about planing a plank to 1 1/8" thickness and ripping 5/32" strips from it? Wouldn't that be the way the ruler stock is produced?
That's the way I'd approach it. You are probably going to have some sanding to do to get rid of saw amrks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts