Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a used Delta Contractors Saw 34-445. With delta unifence. I set the fence using the align-it tool with a 0.005 run out. However when ripping the board wants to move away from the fence. Can anybody give me some ideas as to what to check.
Regards
Ian

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Ian57 said:
I recently acquired a used Delta Contractors Saw 34-445. With delta unifence. I set the fence using the align-it tool with a 0.005 run out. However when ripping the board wants to move away from the fence. Can anybody give me some ideas as to what to check. Regards Ian

A bit more info...I'm not familiar with the align-it tool...

Is the fence set to the blade or the miter slot?

Is the blade set to the miter slot?

Is it occurring with both plywood and solid wood?

·
where's my table saw?
28,737 Posts
a few things

Are you using a splitter or riving knife? If so, that will help retain the board against the fence.
If the boards are narrow, under 6", it's more difficult to apply pressure in towards the fence. You should place your feed hand or push stick as close to the blade as you feel safe and that will give you some added "leverage" when pushing in and forward. I hook my thumb over the edge of the board to give added leverage. Boards under 6" I use a push shoe.

You must start with a straight edged board! :yes:
A curved edge board will not register against the fence, it will just follow the curve that already there.
A straight line jig is the fastest way I know to get a get straight edge, faster than a jointer, especially on longer boards.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Are you using a blade that's suitable for ripping? You can use feather boards, to help keep the stock on the fence. It takes a high level of concentration to keep the stock against the fence. You should be watching the edge on the fence...not the blade cutting the wood.

If your first rip leaves a bowed edge, all subsequent cuts will be the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts