Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to rip a 1x6 of cedar. My rip fence when attached the normal way ( hook of fence on opposite side of blade) is too short to get me where I need to cut. Is it ok if I flip the fence around so that the hook of the fence is on the side where the blade is? It should work just fine correct? For some reason when I put the fence on that side I have enough length in the rip fence to get to where I need to be on the board. Thanks!

·
7,222 Posts
A picture would help.

I think you mean the steel rod and short fence which goes side to side in the shoe of the circular saw.

I am not sure without a picture which side you consider the "opposite". I infer you mean the side at the end of the motor.

If you are now wanting to have the fence mounted on the side of the blade facing out, this should work. You need to try and keep the fence / cut straight and avoid binding the cut off into the blade, you will get burn marks and an uneven cut.

·
bzguy
581 Posts
If you have a piece of plywood and a straightedge you can jury-rig a table saw.
Run the blade through the panel parallel to one edge.
Screw small wood pieces over saw platen to hold it down tight.
Flip it over and clamp or screw straight board parallel 6" or wherever from blade.
Set your new table saw on anything that will hold it level.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bzguy said:
If you have a piece of plywood and a straightedge you can jury-rig a table saw.
Run the blade through the panel parallel to one edge.
Screw small wood pieces over saw platen to hold it down tight.
Flip it over and clamp or screw straight board parallel 6" or wherever from blade.
Set your new table saw on anything that will hold it level.
Good idea

1 - 4 of 4 Posts