Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - as mentioned in the title, it appears that my Rigid TP (Model TP1300) is cutting slighty at an uneven plane. Rough measurements indicate a 16th of an inch tilt of the cutter body from left to right when facing it (left being the low side)

Hoping you all can advise me on the best method to deal with this. I am just getting started with the use of one of these so looking for some tricks of the trade from you guys.

Thanks in advance.

Johnny

·
Registered
27,106 Posts
I don't have that brand of planer but it sounds like the threaded rods that raise and lower the cutter head are out of sync with each other. If you bought the planer used, perhaps someone worked on the planer and didn't get it put back together right. If it developed this condition on its own it sounds like perhaps one of the teeth on the gear that operates it has broken off. It also may have a chain like a bicycle chain connecting each side to keep them working together that is loose and has slipped. I would open the planer up to where you can inspect the mechanism that operates the lift rods and see if you can visually see anything broken. If nothing is broken and just assembled wrong you can probably screw one rod up or down to match the one on the other side.

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve -

Thanks for the advice. I will have to look into that today in before I start grilling! Happy Labor Day!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts