Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
It's an early American made Emerson Ridgid contractor saw....likely a TS2412 or TS2424....circa ~ 1997-2000. It's got ancestry with the preceeding Emerson made Craftsman contractor saws (this one has a better fence), and the succeeding TTI/Ryobi saws (TS3650/TS3660). They were very popular saws, and sold new in the $500 range. A fair price for used in good condition is in the $250 range....give or take for extras, condition, etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking about trading a firearm, m&p15-22, for this table saw. Would it be worth it? I need a good table saw and don't have enough to get one at the moment. I've gotten lucky and have found soneone that wants me to build a few pieces of furniture. I would also be building cabinets so I need something that will get it done. Does it accept dado blades?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I went through with the trade and the saw seems pretty awesome. It was stationary but its mobile, at least around the shop, now. I took the feet out and put casters in.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
congrats on the buy. the saw you bought is a ts2412, the entry level version of the TSs emerson built for HD in the time frame scott noted. my avatar is a pic of my 2412, with a few enhancements. i really like mine but wish it had the same motor as the 2424 (dual voltage 1.5 hp). check out ebay for the herc-u-lift. it'll bolt right onto the leg stand and there isn't a better mobile base made for an open leg stand, IMHO. properly tuned up with a blade that has a tooth set and hook angle appropriate to the operation being performed, there's not a whole lot that saw won't handle in a hobbyist's shop.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome! It seems like a really good saw for the projects that ill get into. I had some heavy duty casters and put them on and it rolls around the shop with no problem. I've already been checking out upgraded fot it. It had a brand spanking new frued 60 tooth blade on it.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Awesome! It seems like a really good saw for the projects that ill get into. I had some heavy duty casters and put them on and it rolls around the shop with no problem. I've already been checking out upgraded fot it. It had a brand spanking new frued 60 tooth blade on it.
Add a 24T rip blade, and you'll have your bases well covered. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Question - I came across this same saw, possibly the 2424...
what size blade does it take? Because I *think* mine has an 8", possibly even smaller blade on it now that needs to be replaced...
Can it take different sized blades or is there supposed to be a certain size on it?

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Voilala said:
Question - I came across this same saw, possibly the 2424...
what size blade does it take? Because I *think* mine has an 8", possibly even smaller blade on it now that needs to be replaced...
Can it take different sized blades or is there supposed to be a certain size on it?
Should be a 10" to get the full cutting capacity.

Al

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I have a version of that table saw, but it is the Ridgid TS3650, which has the caster lift base, and cast iron side wings included. My TS came with a general purpose 10" blade, which was replaced with a Freud premier fusion blade, and the TS does accept dado blades (my set is also Freud). Have plans to build a funnel type wood chip/dust collector under the unit rather than letting all the chips fall into a canvas bag. Have seen plans to add a router in a base on the right side extension, but need to do some more measuring. Keep all your tools clean and sharp, and they will do a great job! Be safe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the chance to pick up one of these on the Heru-U-Lift system for $175. Looks very clean and was lightly used. I would replace the blade of course.

I would like to know from the previous posters how their projects have turned out while using this saw. Specifically if they have used it for any major projects such as kitchen cabinet carcasses. How accurate is it etc?

My plan is to use it to remodel our kitchen, and other hobby use after that. Not looking to start a business from it or anything. All advice welcome.

Thanks!!

·
RAM Man
774 Posts
I have the chance to pick up one of these on the Heru-U-Lift system for $175. Looks very clean and was lightly used. I would replace the blade of course.

I would like to know from the previous posters how their projects have turned out while using this saw. Specifically if they have used it for any major projects such as kitchen cabinet carcasses. How accurate is it etc?

My plan is to use it to remodel our kitchen, and other hobby use after that. Not looking to start a business from it or anything. All advice welcome.

Thanks!!
Properly setup and fine tuned there isn't much that you can't accomplish with that saw. As was stated above, the choice of the proper blade for the job at hand is very important.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Properly setup and fine tuned there isn't much that you can't accomplish with that saw. As was stated above, the choice of the proper blade for the job at hand is very important.
+1. Even my lowly 2412 has handled whatever I've thrown at it, including 8/4 hardwoods, with the right blade, feed rate and set up. And the herb-u-lift is one of the best mobile lifts ever made.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.