Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my rigid table saw (R4512) it was covered with cosmoline. I was able to clean all the cosmoline off, but I still have a lot of stains left behind from it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the stain..? The table works fine and is super smooth, but the stains are becoming annoying as I try to keep my shop clean clean clean....and safe. Thanks for any ideas....

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
mineral spirits and rough scotch brite pads. if you can find it, topsaver works a bit better with the same coarse scotch bright pads:

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Saver-Rust-Remover-Lubricant/dp/B001DT12XQ

last resort, try wet/dry sandpaper, 400 grit, lubricated with mineral spirits. move to progressively higher grits for a shinier surface (800, 1500, 2000).

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I got my rigid table saw (R4512) it was covered with cosmoline. I was able to clean all the cosmoline off, but I still have a lot of stains left behind from it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the stain..? The table works fine and is super smooth, but the stains are becoming annoying as I try to keep my shop clean clean clean....and safe. Thanks for any ideas....
Can't help with the cleaning, but wanted to know how you liked the 4512? That is the saw I'm considering if I can't find a good used saw within the next month or two. I've heard good and even a little bad about it but wouldn't mind hearing your opinion.

·
RAM Man
758 Posts
Haven't tried it myself but I read recently that auto rubbing compound can clean up a saws top. Just make sure you protect the CI from rusting after you use whatever method you choose.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Out of curiosity, what stains are still left behind that you mentioned? On the CI? On the floor? Other?

USN - the 4512 is a very popular saw and many on this site have one (including me).

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
USNrider said:
Can't help with the cleaning, but wanted to know how you liked the 4512? That is the saw I'm considering if I can't find a good used saw within the next month or two. I've heard good and even a little bad about it but wouldn't mind hearing your opinion.
The R4512 is an awesome saw...

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rbk123 said:
Out of curiosity, what stains are still left behind that you mentioned? On the CI? On the floor? Other?

USN - the 4512 is a very popular saw and many on this site have one (including me).
The stains are on the cast iron. I assume its left behind from the cosmoline, but can't swear to it....I think I'll give the scotch brite pads and mineral spirits a try...

·
7,222 Posts

·
Dumbest Smart Person
434 Posts
Might also try naval jelly. Put it on thick, let it sit 5 minutes, then scrape it off into an old butter tub. Spread it back on and let it sit another 5 minutes. Repeat until the jelly is no longer pink and/or you're satisfied with the color of the top.

·
Registered
108 Posts
From a price performance and warranty perspective the 4512 is a winner of a product.

If you are near a harbor freight you can often get a discount using a coupon but even at full price with the LSA it is a great deal. I have one and it is a terrific saw.

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RobinDobbie said:
Might also try naval jelly. Put it on thick, let it sit 5 minutes, then scrape it off into an old butter tub. Spread it back on and let it sit another 5 minutes. Repeat until the jelly is no longer pink and/or you're satisfied with the color of the top.
Today I tried a scotch brite pad and wd40. Worked well for some minor stain, but I think I will try the naval jelly next...thanks everyone....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts