Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks, I need your opinions and perhaps your sleuthing abilities. I have the opportunity to purchase a Rigid joiner ( appears to be a 6 in model) and a Delta drill press. I am meeting the seller this weekend and at this point, I do not have model numbers or ages of the machines. Although, the owner says the machines have been sitting in storage for the past 5 years. I just have the pictures and the price. As you can see in the pictures, the machines have a fair amount surface rust.
So my questions are:
From the pictures can anyone tell what model number each item is?
What should I look for on these machines to ensure they are in good working order.
Should I be worried about the surface rust
Is the price a good deal, great deal or should I walk away unless the price is lower.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I think that Ridgid only ever made one size jointer and it would be the 6" model. I believe that's an earlier one as the later models are orange with an open base. I like the earlier base. They're supposed to be decent jointers. If no one chimes in with more information you can probably find out more about them on the Ridgid forum.

The DP looks like a bench model, correct? It looks fairly new for a Delta. Someone else here might be able to tell you more.

The price is good as I've seen the jointers alone going for $250 or so. To see if they work, plug them in and try them out.

Surface rust is not much of a problem. Do a search here or on OWWM.com for how to conquer it. The OWWM guys are rust removal experts.

Bill

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
the jointer is a ridgid 0610. i have one and it's a good, basic 6"
jointer. when wood magazine last tested several brands, the ridgid was the top value winner. and, FWIW, the older gray colored machines carry a lifetime guaranty against manufacturing defects. while that may have dubious value to a machine that's probably at least 10 year sold, i've never had ridgid refuse to send me anything i've needed for any of my ridgid stationary power tools. $200-250 would be a good price for the jointer alone. perhaps someone more familiar with delta DPs can chime in on that unit.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I also have that same jointer. I purchased mine for 250.00 off of Craigslist. I have no regrets at all. Although I would like to have a bigger one now, this one does just what I need it to do. If the jointer runs and you can run a peice of wood through it, the price for that alone is worth it. Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts