Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just talking to my dad and he is wondering about the rigid bandsaw and what people think of them good and bad. thanks for your input.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't buy it! I don't think I can put it more plainly. I have replaced the stock blade, put on new urethane tires and added a link belt and mine still has an issue with vibrating. My next step is to try and balance the wheels. These are not issues that are just peculiar to me. If you check out the Ridgid forum you'll find that there are plenty of Ridgid bs owners that have had the same problems.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I CANNOT speak for ridgid, but I am pleased with my 10" Craftsman !:yes: The stock blade cut nicely:yes: ...for the first 10 cuts.:blink: But heck, when does anyone give you good blades stock with the machines these days:thumbdown:?

I love the machine, it is extremely well built, and it cuts very nicely!

Steve

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you're talking about the 14" bandsaw from Ridgid, I think I'd buy something else. I've played with them at The Depot and I just don't like them. Also, for the money, Grizzly is in the same price range and builds a very good 14" saw. I know several people with them and have yet to hear a bad word. I have a 17" Grizzly and love it.

I don't have anything against Ridgid tools. I have a 15" Ridgid drill press that beat out every other drill press I shopped, with some costing twice as much. I also have a corded Ridgid drill that I love and use everyday.

But I don't think their newer band saw is worth buying when there are others on the market at the same price that give you so much more.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The old ones scored pretty high with FWW a few years ago. How on earth did they manage to mess it up???:huh:

·
Registered
11 Posts
what a deal!!

Thanks to an out of control fork lift driver at the home depot I was able to pick up a floor model of the gray 14" ridgid bandsaw for a steal at $150.00. The only problem was one of metal legs was bent. I figured for a $150 what the hell. Ridgid sent me a new leg for free. I must say that I was impressed, sure it vibrates a little bit but as long as you set it up properly it works well. With all the money I saved I even bought a riser block, cool blocks and a kreg fence, which added up is still less than list price, I've even used it to resaw a 12' long piece of cherry. I don't exactly know the difference between the new orange models but I would have to say I am happy with mine.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Emerson made the old gray ones...And besides...Orange clashes with my shop decor:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this is all great info and thanks for the input. please keep adding it's all good info. are there any specific features that people like about their saw?

·
Registered
353 Posts
this is all great info and thanks for the input. please keep adding it's all good info. are there any specific features that people like about their saw?
OK, a lot of people here seem to dislike this saw. Well, I beg to differ; I rather like the device.

However, I did have to tweak it a bit to get it up to snuff, particularly regarding vibration. Hell, I tweak all of my tools, and I will bet that some of those here who prefer other brands of band saws have had to tweak their units a tad to get them up to snuff. I have a detailed review of this saw in the tool-review section of this site, and the tweaks cost nearly nothing. Here is a recap:

First, the belt that came with it was both too stiff and had a twist to it. I went to an auto parts shop and got a same-sized segmented version that reduced the vibration by maybe 50%. The belt cost fifteen bucks and was a Drive Rite with the stock number of 17405DR (13A1030). Other decent brands might have the same automotive stock number.

Second, I removed the idiotic rubber mounts for the motor and replaced them with a square piece of 3/4-inch thick mdf. The square was as large as the bolt-mount area of the motor. I also installed a still larger mdf board under the top plate to reinforce the sheet-metal stiffening sheet that came with the unit. Needless to say, I had to pull some longer machine bolts from my parts bin to work with this additional thickness. This trick reduced vibration maybe another 10%, and stabilized the motor.

Third, I temporarily removed the blade and belt and let gravity tell me where the wheels were heavy. I then installed some clip-on weights I had on hand to the wheel rims (on the inside), thereby giving the wheels neutral balance. This reduced the vibration another 35%. The result is a saw with near zero effective vibration.

Fourth, I mounted the metal stand on a thick wood base (made from plywood and 2x4 scraps I had on hand), and put 3-inch wheels on the bottom of the new base. This allows me to roll the saw out onto the work deck adjacent to my shop.

I also installed some cool blocks in place of the steel originals and added a wooden frame made out of scrap 2x4 sections around the perimeter of the cast-iron table. (I ran screws into the tapped holes on the sides of the table, and even have a cut in the wooden section with a removable bridge underneath that allows for a quick blade change.) The wood surround enlarged the table to make it easier to deal with any materials, and putting wood around the platform also eliminated any chance of the iron edge dinging a workpiece.

The result is a very conventional saw (no bells and whistles on this very basic saw model) that works very well, indeed, with no tracking or alignment problems. As some here have noted, while Sears and Grizzly may have saws that work better (or at least worked better until I did my mods), they also cost considerably more. (Remember, with the Grizzly you have to take into consideration shipping costs as well as the listed price.)

Home Depot sells the unit for $350, but if you ask a sales rep if they can give you a discount they may just knock fifty bucks off the price.

Howard Ferstler

·
Registered
801 Posts
Unless it's a Display or Damaged one.... Good luck getting more that 10% off at HD........ Even the Display's they don;t like to discount more than 10%... the ones that are are the refurbished or returned ones..........

·
Registered
113 Posts
The equivalent Grizzly is on sale right now for $369.00 delivered and you don't have to spend any money or time fixing little things that shouldn't need fixing in the first place.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Unless it's a Display or Damaged one.... Good luck getting more that 10% off at HD........ Even the Display's they don;t like to discount more than 10%... the ones that are are the refurbished or returned ones..........
Maybe. However, last week I went in and was looking at the Ridgid JP06101 jointer/planer, which has a posted price of $399. I mentioned to a store rep who was nearby (he looked high-school age) that I would get it if it were a bit lower in price. He said, "How about I let you have it for $349?" I mentioned that I thought only the store manager could make such deals, and he said that all HD employees are "empowered" to cut prices to an extent. Note that he gave me about 12.5% off.

I walked out the door pushing a cart carrying a new, factory boxed-up jointer. We loaded it into my minivan and a neighbor helped me heft the box out to my shop in the backyard.

I assembled it and it works fine, and I will probably be doing a review of it on the tool review section of this site.

Howard Ferstler

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh no did i fester an old wound sorry. that is exactly the type of info that i was looking for. thanks howard for the review. i do prefer to pull things from the box and have it work but hey you were handed lemons and got some sweet lemonade!!! i recently bought a craftex dust collector and had to tear it apart because 2 bolts fell on the floor when i unboxed it (held motor in place) but once repaired it is worth the money. very efficient unit. anyhow thanks again.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My old one listed for A LOT more than $399!!! I got it in Ottawa on an employee [a friend of mine] and clearance floor model discount.
We were moving back to Van at the time and didn't need anymore stuff in the truck but I couldn't pass it up. No regrets.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
353 Posts
oh no did i fester an old wound sorry. that is exactly the type of info that i was looking for. thanks howard for the review. i do prefer to pull things from the box and have it work but hey you were handed lemons and got some sweet lemonade!!! i recently bought a craftex dust collector and had to tear it apart because 2 bolts fell on the floor when i unboxed it (held motor in place) but once repaired it is worth the money. very efficient unit. anyhow thanks again.
No problem. A lot of the tool "reviews" we read here are not really reviews at all. Somebody will say "buy it, you will love it" or "don't buy it, it is junk," or something else along those lines. They will not tell you solid and detailed reasons for their opinions, other than maybe saying that it was crap or ran like a dream, or whatever.

However, I believe that if somebody has a strong opinion about a given product they should offer up some details, particularly if that opinion is a strongly negative one. Just to say that an item was "crap" or "junk" or to simply say "don't buy it" is not much help to anybody. One man's defect in a tool may be another man's great feature.

That Ridgid saw did have its set-up idiosyncracies and I did have to diddle with it (on the cheap) to get it just right. However, once I did my diddling the unit worked very well. I am not a long-term woodworker but I do know junk when I see it (I spent years writing about audio and reviewing audio products for several different magazines and you learn to recognize sub-par products of any kind) and the Ridgid band saw is not junk. It is an old-style design that works very well within its limitations.

"Fine Homebuilding" and "Fine Woodworking" magazines publish annual Tool Guide books and the 2005 issue has tests of 14-inch bandsaws (page 64). The three top-rated models were made by Delta (model 28-248), Laguna (model LT14), and Powermatic (PWBS-14CS). However, they had list prices of $1000, $945, and $855, respectively. The saw that got the "Best Buy" rating was the Ridgid BS1400. (A similarly priced Grizzly model they reviewed did not do any better than the Ridgid.) The testers said that the Ridgid had the fastest blade-changing speed, had wheels that were aligned perfectly (mine were, also), had good blade tensioning accuracy, had good fit and finish, and made acceptable cuts. Their only beef was that brade-drift adjustment was limited and its 3/4 HP motor limited cutting speed compared to the other saws, which had 1 and 1.5 HP motors.

Note that Ridgid offers a fence with this saw, but I have heard complaints about it. The table-expansion mod I did on mine obviously eliminted any ability of the unit to handle the Ridgid fence, but to tell the truth if I want to do a straight cut with a fence I use my table saw. Well, if you want to rip a piece of wood thicker than 3.5 inches I guess you would have to use a band saw with a fence, but from what I gather it is best to use one of those home-built guides that let you steer the thick wood down the blade.

Howard Ferstler

·
Registered
353 Posts
The equivalent Grizzly is on sale right now for $369.00 delivered and you don't have to spend any money or time fixing little things that shouldn't need fixing in the first place.
The 2005 Tool Guide put out by "Fine Homebuilding" and "Fine Woodworking" magazines had a review (page 64) of several 14-inch bandsaws, including the model BS1400 Ridgid and the model G1019 Grizzly. Both cost about the same but in the review the testers gave the Ridgid the "Best Buy" rating. (They offered a "Readers' Rating" list and the Ridgid topped the Grizzly there, too.) A $1000 Delta, $945 Laguna, and $855 Powermatic topped the field in this review, but look at the cost differences compared to the $349 Ridgid.

Yes, the Grizzly G1019 has apparently been superceded by the G0580 model, and perhaps it surpasses the Ridgid. No telling. However, I will note that Grizzly normally has a shipping charge of about $69 for items as heavy as that saw, bringing the price up to $438 during non-sale situations. As I noted, sales reps at Home Depot might knock a few bucks off of the $349 Ridgid, should the customer ask nicely. They did that for me when I asked about a Ridgid jointer/planer.

As for not having to diddle with the Grizzly after delivery, that is anybody's guess. No telling, for sure.

Howard Ferstler

1 - 20 of 22 Posts