Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know the new Rigid saw has gotten some pretty decent reviews... I am looking to buy a table saw (I currently do not own one) and was curious as to which to purchase.

I can get the 3612 off of craigslist locally for $300, he may take less... Otherwise I am looking at $550 for the new saw. I can get the Craftsman 21833 model for this price too.. So which ever one is recommended I will go with.

Any helpful info would be appreciative. Saws are hard to come by here because shipping is so expensive. So we are pretty much limited by the stores here and what they carry.

I am a weekend hobbyist. I want to make built-ins, book cases, dressers eventually... Those type of things.

Just looking for a decent induction motor table saw that will perform good quality cuts at an affordable price.

I could bump my budget up to $1000, but I would have to end up selling a rifle or two and I really would rather stay between the $300-$600 range.

This saw might be a good option? Has a nice out feed table.
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/tls/4192607597.html

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Well........the craftsman would be my choice, its got the largest motor of the group, as well as a longer cord, arbor lock, better riving knife and a slightly better blade. Now....it has a shorter warranty than the ridgid (4512), but its my opinion that a bigger motor is worth more than the warranty.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well........the craftsman would be my choice, its got the largest motor of the group, as well as a longer cord, arbor lock, better riving knife and a slightly better blade. Now....it has a shorter warranty than the ridgid (4512), but its my opinion that a bigger motor is worth more than the warranty.
X2

I want a new table saw as well and the Craftsman is the one I've been looking at.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
3612 vote here. last of the made in USA by emerson electric for ridgid TSs. probably dates to between 2000 and ~ 2003 (when HD licensed the ridgid name for stationary and hand held power tools and moved production to TTI overseas). the 3612 offers a 1.5 hp dual voltage motor, CI extension wings, a terrific fence (not a tsquare, but one that will retain it's settings and stand the test of time), 36" of rip capacity (which, if not using the front fence rail mounted tape doesn't matter to you, could be easily increased to ~ 42" just by sliding the front and rear fence rails to the right by 6", a herc-u-lift mobile base, an eccentric lever on the rear trunion for blade to miter slot alignment and it's guaranteed against manufacturers defects for life, regardless of who owns the saw (guaranty attaches to the tool, not the owner). what that guaranty is worth on a 10-13 YO saw is up to the buyer, but my 2412 is a gray colored entry level saw of the same vintage and i've never been disappointed when seeking assistance from ridgid for replacing parts that have needed replacement.

the 3612 is one of the best 10" CI contractor saws ever built.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys... I will see if the guy still has the 3612. The lifetime replacement really is a nice feature. I have also heard it is one of the best contractor saws out there from other people.

I am in the process of making a book shelf and I can only cut so straight with a circular saw... LOL. I was putting it together tonight and noticed how un-square my cuts were. About 1/8" off with a 11" board. Not good at all.

Hopefully my clamps glue and screws will hold it together.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
......The lifetime replacement really is a nice feature.....
just to be clear, the 3612 carries a lifetime guaranty against manufacturing defects. there are some who define manufacturing defects as items that occur during the very early life of an item. what "manufacturing defects" a 10+ YO saw may have is possibly subject to some debate.

ridgid has yet to fail me on minor items, but i'm not so sure they'd pony up a new motor if mine died.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
nice saw with a very serviceable fence. there are a few differences that i'm aware of. the splitter/blade guard on the 315 TS secures to the rear of the saw and through the table insert. to the best of my knowledge, it does not remove and reinstall as easily or accurately as the 3612. the 315 may not have the eccentric lever for blade to miter slot alignment the 3612 has and the 315 doesn't have a mobile base. but the 315's solid CI wings are a nice feature for adding mass to the aw for dampening vibration.

just my $.02.

·
RAM Man
755 Posts
3612 vote here. last of the made in USA by emerson electric for ridgid TSs. probably dates to between 2000 and ~ 2003 (when HD licensed the ridgid name for stationary and hand held power tools and moved production to TTI overseas). the 3612 offers a 1.5 hp dual voltage motor, CI extension wings, a terrific fence (not a tsquare, but one that will retain it's settings and stand the test of time), 36" of rip capacity (which, if not using the front fence rail mounted tape doesn't matter to you, could be easily increased to ~ 42" just by sliding the front and rear fence rails to the right by 6", a herc-u-lift mobile base, an eccentric lever on the rear trunion for blade to miter slot alignment and it's guaranteed against manufacturers defects for life, regardless of who owns the saw (guaranty attaches to the tool, not the owner). what that guaranty is worth on a 10-13 YO saw is up to the buyer, but my 2412 is a gray colored entry level saw of the same vintage and i've never been disappointed when seeking assistance from ridgid for replacing parts that have needed replacement.

the 3612 is one of the best 10" CI contractor saws ever built.
Ditto!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The guy with the craftsman hasn't replied... I have been busy with other projects around the house, so I haven't had time to call the guy with the 3612.

Still debating if its worth the $300 he is asking.

·
RAM Man
755 Posts
The guy with the craftsman hasn't replied... I have been busy with other projects around the house, so I haven't had time to call the guy with the 3612.

Still debating if its worth the $300 he is asking.
Considering the availability of used equipment where you're located and of course the condition of the saw I would say that $300 is a very good price. Back when the 3612 was being sold, 2002/03, it retailed for $597 so half of NIB price is pretty normal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you end up going the Home Depot route, locate one of the Harbor Freight 20% coupons. I hear not all HD stores honor them, but mine did, and it helped a lot! Certainly worth the try.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have a harbor freight where I live... So doubtful they will accept that. I think the employees would be like "who is harbor freight?"

Still need to work on the wife... She thinks what I am doing so far is fine and I don't "need" a table saw.

My birthday is coming up and I have been hinting at it so hopefully she surprises me. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
It appears to be one of the "zip code" Craftsmans. You'll need to get the model number from him for us to provide better info. Those were good saws and there are countless out there still in use. Can't tell from those pictures how good/bad the condition is. The stock fences were ok, but many have upgraded them.

If it's not inconvenient, I'd go check it out. Those are good saws to grow your ww skills.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
So the 3612 sold....

Is this a decent table saw? I don't know which craftsman models were good and which were bad. Hard to tell by the lighting which model it is. Thought I would ask here before I called.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/tls/4257863737.html
Looks like one of the old Emerson made saws to me. If it's belt drive and has an induction motor hanging off the back, it's worth about half the asking price IMO. If it's direct drive or flex drive, it's worth even less.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts