Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well tonight I finally figured out what that means (IMO it's a terrible phrase) but more importantly I finally know what it feels like to do it properly!

Turning has never been more fun or relaxing! Ribbons... RIBBONS of wood were flying off the tool!

I'm a little pumped and had to tell someone cause my wife really doesn't appreciate what that means.
Thanks for all the info everyone shares!

·
Registered
997 Posts
When I figured it out, I think I threw every piece of wood I had on the lathe and made a can full of shaving. And I couldn't have been happier.

I do that same thing everytime I buy a new tool!

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I hope to understand that feeling on day. I recently tried turning a bead, first trying my Sorby Spindlemaster, then trying my spindle gouge. Once I stopped shaking, I put the tools away and went back upstairs.
I did learn what "gouge" meant, but not in the good way!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try watching Lyle Jamieson on YouTube. His explanation is pretty good. Also try watching John Lucas his technique videos are excellent.

I literally rubbed the Bevel @ 45 degree angle in the direction you wanna travel (this is on a bowl) and raised the tool handle (ever so slightly) until you see just a whisp of wood. At this point small adjustments allow the tool to cut more. It's literally a finesse thing. I used to wear myself out trying to "muscle" the tool. Good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Now I know what to call it. I just sort of stumbled on this by trial and error some time ago, but had no idea it had a name. :)

Edit: Didn't mean for that to sound snobbish.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ow I know how you feel. Watched a video or 2 of Johns myself and I can recall the first time I heard him say he was pointing a bowl gouge up into the wood. Holly crap that's crazy I thought to myself, but then I found my favorite tool after that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts