Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
I am looking to picking up a Ridgid thickness planer from Home Depot ($549.00).
The Ridgid planer is significantly less than the Dewalt planer. ($781.00)
Once I have a planer I will want it on some mobile stand.
I am curious what others have done here.
Home Depot has a Dewalt rolling stand ($239.00)

I have never owned a thickness planer.
I want one to help me plane board flat after glue ups.
Just for hobby work.
I have seen some metal stands without wheels, but I work in my garage, and I need everything to be moveable to fit garage things (and me).
Just soliciting opinion whether or not the Dewalt stand a good idea?

Perhaps I am over thinking things.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I use the Dewalt DW7350 mobile stand for my planer. It’s $158 if ordered from Home Depot.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
I bought a used planer. The seller included the cabinet shell that it was on, including casters. There are long bolts with lock washers and nuts underneath the top to hold the planer in place. Someday I will add shelves or drawers.

The rubber outer tires on the casters failed, so I replaced the casters with new ones. These old photos show the "original" broken casters, but you get the idea.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Machine Automotive exterior Shipping box Wood Box Hardwood Gas

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Ridgid planer mounted on a HF tool stand ($40), on a shop made dollie. You could modify a HF moving dollie, but it is better to have lockable casters. HF has a basic mobile base for $45. This works fine in my garage shop.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
For a planer, you need locking casters for safety and to reduce vibration. I prefer the dual-locking type that prevents both rolling and swiveling. I used to think that those dual-locking casters are exclusive to Rockler, but I have since bought them from other sources, including eBay.

·
Mike
187 Posts
My Ridgid planer is on a Ridgid stand. But one of these days I'm going to build a flip top stand so I can have 2 tools in one spot in my small 2 car garage shop.
There are many plans for them. Worth checking out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts