Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for Qty 1 - blade lock bar for a Rigid 13” R4330 Wood planer. It can be used or new. Anybody have an extra one laying around and willing to offer
The part number is 089170105107 . The blade lock bar on the Ridgid latest model R4331 does not work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Obsolete part 089170105086 I can only hope someone may have a extra one laying around

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks! Obsolete part 089170105086 I can only hope someone may have a extra one laying around
I finally got around to restoring my R3440 that I purchased a couple of years ago and I also noticed that one of the blade lock bars is badly warped causing sawdust to accumulate under the blade. I did all the searching for this part as well with no luck. It has a 7-hole bolt pattern, not a 6-hole like the photo posted above. It's the last Ridgid product I'm buying. They have poor part support and quality control issues. I also own the Ridgid oscillating spindle sander and need a couple of parts for it and I'm running into the same discontinued issues. Let me know if you come across anything. Worst case scenario I'll just have to try to straighten it out by hammering it and hope it works...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Were you able to find a blade lock bar? I'm in the same boat with a bent blade lock bar on my R4330 and I'm having a bear of a time trying to find a replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Were you able to find a blade lock bar? I'm in the same boat with a bent blade lock bar on my R4330 and I'm having a bear of a time trying to find a replacement.
Between a vise, a hammer, I was able to make them almost like new. The metal is butter soft mild steel, poor choice for this part that takes a lot of stress. It should be hardened, perhaps the newer ones are. In any case, Mine are fixed. They turn up on ebay from time to time so you can check there. Odds are the used ones are probably warped as well. It's a quality control issue for Ridgid.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It is hard to tell from the photo what the cross sectional shape looks like. Could you make a replacement from a piece of steel bar stock of the same thickness? You could use the old one as a template and drill the holes with a drill press or by hand. Even if it has some shape, would flat work?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I emailed someone earlier today who had left an Amazon review back in 2015 with the same problem. Here is his reply:

"Never found a replacement - went to hardware store and purchased a piece of bar steel almost identical in dimension and made my own replacement. It took a little while to fashion it with the bolt holes and guide pins but it worked. Also need to make sure the weight of the fabrication bar is very close to the original bar. using a beam balance will allow you to do that.

Anyway, got my planer back and it has worked every since the repair."

I've found some steel bar around the scrap pile and I'm going to try this myself. Though I think I may make a matching set of three and use the ones I make to help with the weight distribution and what not. Anyways. I'll try to post if I do that and give some results and updates.

·
where's my table saw?
27,850 Posts
All steel is not equal ......

I don't understand why folks are reluctant to visit a machine shop after exhausting the typical methods of finding obsolete replacement parts.

I'm lucky to have 4 or 5 machine shops that I have visited and who know me and a machinist friend who can help me make my own parts of fabricate one for me. I have been given short lengths or stubs to work with and charged 1/3 the going rate for lathe work. I return the favors with pizza for lunch or donuts for the shop. A visit to a local shop will often result in a reasonable price on a simple thing like a straight gib bar if it can be made from common size bar stock of a higher grade than OEM (Asian) the steel. It won't hurt to ask ..... just sayin'.
:wink:

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I don't understand why folks are reluctant to visit a machine shop after exhausting the typical methods of finding obsolete replacement parts.

[...]
Speaking for myself, I don't know any machine shops and have no experience with them.

I could find one easily enough in my urban area, I assume. When I find one, it would be out of my experience to know how to tell if I can trust them. Finally, I would be concerned that paying a machine shop to do something would be expensive, very expensive.

If I HAD to find a machine shop, I would start by asking my woodworking friends. One of them is bound to know someone or make a recommendation.

Some people are handy with welding, brazing, metalwork, etc. Not me. Woodworking is challenging enough.

That's why.

·
where's my table saw?
27,850 Posts
It's the fear of the unknown ....

In my case I had met the owners through a chance meeting at a restaurant, a fastener supply house or through previous dealings with the father of that owner. Whether you can trust them or not is unknown, but if they quote you a price that says "Go away we are too busy for you" then that's a clue. If instead they say "We can do this for time and material and our shop rate is $75 per hour, but we will cut you some slack, come back in 2 days" .... that's an indication of someone willing to help out. It doesn't hurt to ask and if you end up walking away, that's OK. You can always ask them if they know of someone else who will help out that's local.

:vs_cool:

Reactions: Tool Agnostic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good afternoon gentlemen. I finally got through my process of restoring the R4330 planer I received and made a short video of what I did. If you have any ideas, suggestions, or comments, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
1,869 Posts
I have an R4331 and knock on vinyl it still works just fine, but I'm about done with Ridgid myself dealing with my bandsaw. It seems once they sell a machine every part is immediately discontinued.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts