Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ridgid 6" Jointer, the older grey version, and I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen aftermarket or homebuilt fences you can use instead of the factory fence. I love this machine for face jointing but the fence is only 4 or 5 inches tall and a pain to square and doesn't feel all that secure. Edge jointing wider boards usually produces a straight edge but i can't trust it always being 90 degrees to the face. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a Ridgid 6" Jointer, the older grey version, and I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen aftermarket or homebuilt fences you can use instead of the factory fence. I love this machine for face jointing but the fence is only 4 or 5 inches tall and a pain to square and doesn't feel all that secure. Edge jointing wider boards usually produces a straight edge but i can't trust it always being 90 degrees to the face. Anyone else have this problem?
I highly doubt there would be an aftermarket jointer fence since putting a new one on would still have the same parts that secure it to the jointer itself. So that wouldn't help you with the rigidity (pun intended) of the fence.

If you want a higher fence however that's easier. You can buy some Extruded Aluminum Fence and cut out the half circle where your blades rest then bolt it to your current fence system for added height. You could also just bolt a piece of High Density Plastic to it and go from there. Most Ridgid jointers have mounting holes on the front side of the fence.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Not my experience at all. It enjoys a reputation as being a great value and a well performing power tool.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not my experience at all. It enjoys a reputation as being a great value and a well performing power tool.
When I have the fence locked down and measuring 90 degrees to the bed, you can push on either the leading or trailing edge of the fence and have it pivot (around an 1/8"). When that happens, it doesn't register 90 degrees to the bed. When you edge joint a board you push it tight to the fence, so the angle changes on me. If any of you guys own this machine would you mind seeing if it pivots like i am describing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts