Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I bought a 4512 last week and so far it's doing its job well. I do have a question about it's brake though.

When i turn the saw off, the brake engages an slows the blades about 75%, then it spins the rest of it way to a stop - that part takes about 4-5 seconds. is this normal, or should it brake to a stop in one stage?

The folks at Ridgid aren't giving me a straight answer. To give them the benefit of the doubt, I don't think understand my explanation.

To me it seems a bit unsafe because the sound of the brake being applied
'tricks" my brain into thinking is safe to reach towards the blade.

Any thoughts?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
My saw takes about that to slow down, I don't have the 4512, but from the outside would say that's normal.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hey guys,

I bought a 4512 last week and so far it's doing its job well. I do have a question about it's brake though.

When i turn the saw off, the brake engages an slows the blades about 75%, then it spins the rest of it way to a stop - that part takes about 4-5 seconds. is this normal, or should it brake to a stop in one stage?

The folks at Ridgid aren't giving me a straight answer. To give them the benefit of the doubt, I don't think understand my explanation.

To me it seems a bit unsafe because the sound of the brake being applied
'tricks" my brain into thinking is safe to reach towards the blade.

Any thoughts?

My ridgid doesn't have an electric brake to it and I have that model. It does take about that long for the blade to stop though.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I don't think it has an electric brake like a miter saw does. You're likely hearing the centrifugal switch closing as the saw powers down.

·
7,222 Posts
I don't think it has an electric brake like a miter saw does. You're likely hearing the centrifugal switch closing as the saw powers down.
+1, sounds like the centrifugal switch to me also.

For the original poster, you should be hearing a click when the centrifugal switch dis-engages. You always want to hear this click, since if the centrifugal switch does not dis-engage, then the motor will not start next time.

Lots of threads on the forum about motors humming but not starting. Many are due to centrifugal switches having got stuck due to debris in the motor.

You did not state how you explained to the Ridgid tech support, but if you need to confirm with Ridgid, just simply ask if the 4512 design includes and electric brake.

My 3HP Delta Unisaw does not have electric brake and takes a few seconds to power down.

·
RAM Man
766 Posts
Just because I was curious, I timed how long it took the blade on my RIDGID TS3612 to stop spinning. I did the test twice and both times it took 20 seconds for the blade to completely stop spinning after I flipped the switch off. Not sure how much of a difference it makes but I had a full kerf blade mounted when I did this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts