Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Ridged 4512 from Home depot. Seems to be a nice saw with two exceptions. The right hand slot for guide is slightlu narrow on the far side making the Miter gauge stick towards the end. The Question I have is the blade coast at when you turn the saw off. There appears that the is no breaking when shut down. Is that true for every one that has this saw? Does any one have a solution?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have the same saw, but I haven't noticed any issues with the miter slots. As for the blade coasting, it seems like I hear some sort of brake engage shortly after shutting it off but the blade still coasts a while longer. I've always been taught to lower the blade after a cut for safety

·
7,222 Posts
I have a Delta Unisaw. I think stationary tools do not use the same braking as bench tools. My Delta Unisaw motor takes a few seconds to stop. Your Rigid may be the same.

My Bosch mitre saw stops almost immediately. This machine generates a reverse electrical pulse to stop the blade.

My circular saw also has the reverse electrical pulse.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
No brakes that I'm aware of most induction type motors with belt drive. There's a centrifugal switch that disengages, relieve the motor capacitors of their duties, but no brake.

You can take some fine sandpaper and a block of wood thin enough to fit in the slot, and work it ever so slightly to improve miter gauge motion. Don't take too much, and be sure that the t-slots are free of cosmeline or other grease/debris before starting, as that could be the cause of the binding.

Align it well, put a good aftermarket blade on it, and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
>>>> No brakes that I'm aware of most induction type motors with belt drive.

Yes, that's true, I believe. I have no brake on my Delta Constractor Saw.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

I timed it and the slow down time was 12 seconds. I guess that is on bad but my old saw was only a few seconds, it was a belt drive versus direct. Miter saws have a eletric brake so they will not compare same any small portable. I think my issue is my impatience caused by my wanting to keepgoing versus waiting.;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Direct drive

the saw is a direct drive it achieves about 3600 rpm which is less than belt driven. I have a 50 tooth blade in it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have the same saw and noticed the miter slot on both sides was too narrow, I glued a 220 grit sand paper to a 2 foot long peice of 3/8th hardwood and rand it through the slot for about 30 minutes. Works perfectly now.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
AFX Said: <<I glued a 220 grit sand paper to a 2 foot long peice of 3/8th hardwood and rand it through the slot for about 30 minutes.>>

You're a patient man.

Bill

·
Registered
387 Posts
AFX Said: <<I glued a 220 grit sand paper to a 2 foot long peice of 3/8th hardwood and rand it through the slot for about 30 minutes.>>

You're a patient man.

Bill
I was smack dab in the middle of a project that required my tenoning jig be on the right side so I had no choice :thumbdown:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts