Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently at the wood woodworking show and purchased a 8 inch box and finger joint saw blade set from Ridge Carbide. When I got home and started opening everything I bought, I noticed the actual brand of the blade set was Oshlun. After some quick research I found that they are two separate companies. Does anybody know why I would have been given this blade rather than the Ridge Carbide.

·
where's my table saw?
28,598 Posts
because you look like a nice guy?

Probably an unscruplous salesman. Or just a mistake, BUT if you paid for a Ridge Carbide set it would not be right, proper, or ethical to get an Oshlun set, a much cheaper, but decent set in my opinion. :no:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Do you know who you bought it from? Pay by credit card?

I agree.....sounds like you got the wrong blade

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I normally inspect things I buy before walking away, but a seminar I wanted to sit in on was starting.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
You've either been scammed, or were the victim of an honest mistake. Either way I'd be following up on this in a big way. Contact the show promoters. I'd even consider going to the next show and confronting him over something like this. How much was it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As Ridge Carbide, I just looked on there website and it shows the set for $89.95. The specs of the blades are the same. What I got just says Oshlun on them instead of Ridge Carbide Tool

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also told the salesman I was getting it because I liked that it was made in America, the Oshlun I got is not stamped or printed where it is made, so I don't know whether it is or not.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I'd call ridge and ask them if they were selling at the show.....and ask for an explanation...

·
where's my table saw?
28,598 Posts
What does your sales receipt say?

Is there an itemized receipt? That would be your best argument for an exchange or return and then compare the price you were charged for each different set online.

·
where's my table saw?
28,598 Posts
I don't think you really have a problem

After seeing that info on the box, I am going out on a limb and will say it's probably a Ridge set, packaged by Oshlun as a promotion ...who knows? Oshlun is a very good quality set. I have the dados in 8" and 6" and they are great. Ridge Carbide is just known for being a high end supplier. It may boil down to the carbide itself...C3 or C4 ..who knows?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No receipt, another mistake on my part. I just assumed he put it in the bag with the blade. The blade does say C4 micro grain carbide just like the Ridge is listed as having

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I'd say at this point it's yours...cash, no info of the sales guy, no receipt.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Many carbide tools as well as power tools are made by one manufacturer but painted different colors and labeled with different names. I knew a guy who worked for a router bit maker and they made the same bits for many different companies, only difference was the color and label. Could be the case with your set.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Many carbide tools as well as power tools are made by one manufacturer but painted different colors and labeled with different names. I knew a guy who worked for a router bit maker and they made the same bits for many different companies, only difference was the color and label. Could be the case with your set.
That's what I am hoping, because the specs of the blades on each companies website is the same. Still though you would think that at the Ridge Carbide booth, I would be given one with their name on it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts