Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in my 50's and have done little woodworking since junior high school. Some carpentry, just little in the way of finish woodworking.

I recently started getting back into the hobby as a source of busywork and some sense of accomplishment, I will use it as a diversion when I retire.

Just this year I have started making cutting boards (my first foray into hardwood) and a shelf for my daughter (White oak and walnut.)

Wood Comfort Rectangle Creative arts Hardwood

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
5,058 Posts
welcome to the forum, AC, hope you enjoy your stay here.

·
Premium Member
5,570 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
And........nice shelf unit.
Angles and shelf boards are very pleasing to the eye

·
Registered
789 Posts
Nice to meet you!
Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum.
And........nice shelf unit.
Angles and shelf boards are very pleasing to the eye
Thank you. I took a bit of time planning it out in sketchup. The lines should all converge at the same apex. (The ends of the shelves and the legs.)

·
Premium Member
5,570 Posts
".............. The lines should all converge at the same apex. (The ends of the shelves and the legs.)"
Hmmmm. I learn something new every day.

·
Premium Member
5,570 Posts
Seems to work well on this piece.
I always make sketches and see what looks best. I'll bet there is a rule somewhere, there always is.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I actually went to an architecture design college and all the "rules" are someone's opinion, and should only be used to get close. The only things that matter are how it looks to eye and how it functions.

Reactions: Tony B

·
Premium Member
5,570 Posts
I have always followed your last sentence............."The only things that matter are how it looks to eye and how it functions "
I always thought that the Fibonacci thing was a bunch of non-sense, but that's just me.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have always followed your last sentence............."The only things that matter are how it looks to eye and how it functions "
I always thought that the Fibonacci thing was a bunch of non-sense, but that's just me.
That is surprisingly close to what the professors said as well. All the Golden ratio and fibonacci spacing are all helpful to get into the ballpark, but you need to sketch, mock things up and iterate through different designs and proportions.

Visual weighting was an interesting topic too. I like Mike Pekovich's way of addressing this...he makes all his cross members slightly thinner and inset from the carcass. If his carcass is 11/16", his shelves are 5/8", the cross supports are 9/16", and the dividers are 1/2".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts