Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As many here know my love for sawing old logs,,,125 yr old....150 yr old.....????? hand hewn and riven poplar logs from an restored house. These logs averaged 6"x 14" with NO heart/pithe and little white with tight growth rings...NO knots...sounds like virgin forest material. These are part logs from when owner moved and restored this history and made smaller window into a picture window....later we removed picture window and installed door and sidelights. This project is a 3 plank (approx 42" wide) trestle table i commissioned to build from their salvaged logs.

The basic layout is to be simple and matching to original logs. I split the logs for top at 10 qtr. The top's eating surface will be the smooth sawed side of these qtr sawn logs with the original hewn side down. The trestle bases will be 6"w x 7" h....trestle top pieces will be 5"w x 3 1/2" h....the end uprights and bar will be 2 3/4" thick x 14" wide.
Will keep pics coming in:

Have a Blessed and Prosperous evening in Jesus's Awesome Love,
Tim

Attachments

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks treeoflife....corrected spelling...that's what happens at midnight trying to finish up...kept dozing off and didn't proof read.

Got my lengths cut and top back reliefs. Ok'd the top's joint spacing(es) to keep as rustic as possible. Work on boring mortises tomorrow and cutting tenons.

Local historic bridge having new concrete floor poured tomorrow....may go take pics for future documentation...YEA sonny, I was there in 2012 seeing it rebuilt,,,that was the GOOD OLE DAYS:eek::eek::laughing::laughing::laughing:.

Rechecked my old log structure today that I was planning on moving and resetting back up....but on further inspection, TOO many deteriorated logs to restore back BUT I'm going to recycle into furniture, flooring, mantels, benches, etc., etc....maybe it will clean up to recut a small timber frame and not lose full building.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love,
Tim

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Busy day, this build seperates the degrees of levels in a build....MAXED OUT the thinker today.......NOTHING square, flat, smooth....That's my kinda build...CHALLENGING:eek::eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::yes::wallbash::wallbash::laughing::laughing: ....to make parts and lines appear straight....but OOOHHHH the character this one has. I'm posting a pic showing how tight the grain is...best I can tell without magnifying glass is 10-12+ rings per inch, 15 inch wide and NO pithe. THIS would be old growth VIRGIN timber. I got the mortises aligned and bored, part of the tenons cut.

Tim

Attachments

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
more pics...

Attachments

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks rustic Tim. My eyes are on this.
Maybe just a LITTLE RUSTIC:eek::laughing::laughing: somewhere on it:blink::shifty::shifty:

I got the rough out done and dry fitted....now comes the fun....I'm going to build a jig for my router so I can recess the upright end's pockets into the uneven base and top bars. The only exposed bandsaw marks will be the top, inside uprights and the sides of the crossbar. I added Roman numerals to all parts for more aged look.

Several new pics.

Tim

Attachments

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A few more... as you'll notice under the top the original finish that was on the interior of logs when in house.

Attachments

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Nice looking table Tim.
That's got to weigh a ton. Are putting some kind if finish on it? Because I like the look of it like that.

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Dom,

Actually it doesn't wiegh nowhere near what an oak one would. Finish...the customer is going to finish....this one looks so well without a finish it's sad it would require one for the top as it is going to be used as dining...once all the pocketing and draw pegs are done, it would be BEAUTIFUL just wire brushed and the age of build would be hard to determine. Didn't get to work on today...Blessed with a LARGE red oak (pics on sawing thread)

Everyone have a Blessed and Prosperous weekend in Jesus's Awesome Love,
Tim

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Tennessee Tim said:
Thanks Dom,

Actually it doesn't wiegh nowhere near what an oak one would. Finish...the customer is going to finish....this one looks so well without a finish it's sad it would require one for the top as it is going to be used as dining...once all the pocketing and draw pegs are done, it would be BEAUTIFUL just wire brushed and the age of build would be hard to determine. Didn't get to work on today...Blessed with a LARGE red oak (pics on sawing thread)

Everyone have a Blessed and Prosperous weekend in Jesus's Awesome Love,
Tim
I agree. The look and the aged wood will probably withstand any finish they put on it.
But if that's what they want? Than not much you can say. Keep it up Tim.

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah Dom......You know we have to wiegh out what's going to be best in the long run and how we're going to use a piece......This would be a tough wiegh due to the bare beauty ....but here's the wieghts:

NO FINISH = bare beauty, (as table) many stains and rings on top, micro-organisms on top surface from not being able to clean properly due to porous wood....Glass wood be an good option but semi-expensive 43" x 80" BUT is do-able and floaters (not touching wood, disc pads etc.)

FINISH: everything is protected, could stain (not recommended) differ color, easier dusting

I never thought I'd fall in love with a bare (unfinished/no coating)piece......I'd lean towards the glass top and no finish if it would fit into the budget

Tim

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Yea I can understand a finish for the top, but maybe the rest should be bare. I don't know?
It's quite attractive as it sits.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts