Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought two sets of these retractable casters from Amazon.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QRH8VS2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&sc=1
One set went on my workbench and works fine for that. I used another set on a rolling work table. Between the weight of the cart itself and 2 full sheets of 3/4 inch plywood on top - not so easy to roll. the wheel diameter is 2 1/2".
I dont know how well regular wheels with brakes work with that kind of weight on them.
Any thoughts on the matter?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I have them on a bunch of my rolling tools/tables. I like them!

I don't like the 'locking roller' things - the unlock lever always moves someplace I can't get to.....

the only issue I've experienced - I have 1/2" feet pads for the legs to land on. they're plastic and too hard. on (sufficiently) smooth concrete they can slide - I've been on the hunt for some softer rubber 1/2" thick round/square/whatever pads that are stickier.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The floor in my shop is in a very un-flat condition in some areas. I had to get the adjustable feet for them so when I retract the casters, I can level it out. The bottoms are somewhat hollow so they grip pretty good.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CG2Z4JQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also note that my retractable wheels are not easy to deploy with a load on the cart. I have to use a lever bar/pry bar sometimes to drop the wheels. A pipe would probably be much easier. Just gotta find one.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I have them on a jointer - which is heavy - all cast iron
and a 14" bandsaw which is ueber heavy....
without that issue...

I suspect the various designs don't all perform equally.
mine cost near double (at the time) - I wonder if those are cheap knockoffs?

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They very well may be.
When I get a chance, I will take measurements of the length of the foot pedal. A shorter pedal will require more force than a longer one.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
also,,, check the surfaces that contact the caster plate. if they're stamped and the stamping has left lots of rough grain, that would make them hard to operate under load....

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will check tomorrow, Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
the only issue I've experienced - I have 1/2" feet pads for the legs to land on. they're plastic and too hard. on (sufficiently) smooth concrete they can slide
4"x4" pieces of outdoor carpet. Grips concrete like glue and will take up some differences and "level" the stand ... some.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check out the GD-60F casters. I recentlt used 6 of them under an outfeed / assembly / router table. The top is 4×7 with 2 layers of 3/4" plywood with a 3/4" MDF between them.

It is very heavy and rolls easier than I want it to.

I used the cheap Chinese knockoffs from Amazon and have been extremely pleased.

Randy

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
those caught my attention a while back - - -
but if I understand the 'operating principles' correctly, one has to individual up/down screw the foot via the notched nut?
for something that's moved once a year,,,, okay - but something that's moved twice a day that seems a tad less than fully convenient.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
@TomCT2

The casters I use when let in the down position will raise the leg around 1 1/2" off the floor. Since my adjustable leg hardware sticks down from under the leg foot about 7/8" and my floor has some serious dips, I had to lower the up/down casters lower than the recommended depth. That will give me better clearance.
When I'm rolling along, I will pull the wheels up and let the cart rest on the floor. Usually the difference is not dramatic in most areas.

I have the retractable casters on my rolling cart and work bench. When the casters are up, my rolling cart and workbench are at same table height as table saw In a narrow shop, it makes life very tolerable to move sheet good around. F'rinstance, slide the plywood and MDF from the truck bed and onto workbench. Then slide from workbench to table saw, then slide from table saw to rolling cart and roll it out of the way temporarily. Obviously there is overlapping at times.
I believe a properly planned and re-planned shop can be manageable and contain many essential tools and still have the necessary open floor space to actually construct whatever.
Wheels and casters play a very important role or is it ROLL. LOL

·
Registered
176 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts