Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my hands on a used 3' x 6' laminated rock maple benchtop that I am going to replace my existing benchtop with. It is in prety good condition but has a lot of nicks and dents in it. Should I even consider resurfacing it? If so, how do I go about it and what type of finish should I use when I am done?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just got my hands on a used 3' x 6' laminated rock maple benchtop that I am going to replace my existing benchtop with. It is in prety good condition but has a lot of nicks and dents in it. Should I even consider resurfacing it? If so, how do I go about it and what type of finish should I use when I am done?
It depends on your style. IMO character and patina are nice traits to have on a table top

·
Registered
445 Posts
Personally i would keep the battle scars, but you could also
use a sheet of m.d.f. and replace that when it gets chewed up. :smile:

·
Wood Butcher
35 Posts
I agree, scars are cools, a warped top isn't. If it's warped, use winding sticks and straight edges to find the high spots. Hog off the high spots with a long hand plane or hand held power planner and fine tune with a belt sander. Then, run it through a thickness sander to finish it off. I like a light poly or oil finish.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
If I had a choice (and free is a good choice) I wouldn't spend any time trying to resurface it as you may make it worse. I would just use a thin piece of tempered masonite (hardboard), and put the smooth side up. It's pretty cheap. When it gets all mucked up, just throw on another sheet. This way you have a solid substrate with a replaceable top.

Or use as a top sheet a thin sheet of melamine or Formica laminated plywood (can be thin, like 1/4"). Glue and finish materials will wipe or scrape off very easy. Also, a cheap fix.

Now, if you're one of the millions of woodworkers who just like cool looking shop items and have to stand back and drool with great degrees of salivation that loads up on the front of your shirt, spend the time handplaning and sanding, and finish off with oil base polyurerthane. Once that is done, don't do any work on it as every nick, scratch and globs of glue will seriously affect your state of mind sending you into hours of depression. :laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I think I have been convinced to leave it alone and appreciate the battle scars. However, I'd like some input on how to attach it to my base. Right now I just have 4 big lag bolts screwed up into the top. If anyone has any better ideas I'm open to hear them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nails???

I wouldn't resurface an old bench top either, mostly because you can ruin bits, plane blades, etc. if you should find a nail or something imbedded in the wood. Good luck with your new top.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts