Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow members, I am a newbie to woodworking. I have an old computer desk I’d like to restore, and would appreciate any help on the correct way of doing so. It’s a black desk - I’m not sure if I have to sand it first then repaint? Or can I just repaint the surface in black? Please see the attached image and let me know what your recommendations are. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
welcome to the forum, Randy.

you don't "restore" MDF or Particle Board - you sand, prime and paint
and call it a day.
the raw wood will soak up the paint like a sponge if you don't seal/prime first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey John, thank you for your response. Would I need to sand the entire surface before priming and repainting? Or just the areas that have peeled away?

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
honestly, I have never re-painted a MDF or Fiberboard project.
what paint are you going to use ?? rattle can, brush/roller or HVLP spray ?
each brand of paint carries its own set of preparation procedures.
just follow the directions on the product you use.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I don't touch MDF or Fiberboard projects, but if I did in this case sand with 220 grit to allow for adhesive and then paint it.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
It looks like so much is pocked, you might as well sand and prime the whole thing. I'd guess that even after priming, those pock marks will show through. I think I'd prime, fill, prime again and then paint.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sand the top down to bare particle board and then apply a plastic laminate surface. It will be very durable and make a much better desk surface. By the time you sand, prime, and re-paint, you will have spent more time and not much less money and the end result will not be as good. Any extra you spend on materials will be well spent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts