Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions regarding respirators. Do you all use a mask or respirator while turning or just when sanding? I've never felt the need while turning green wood but it does tend to get a little dusty turning dry wood. When I do use the paper mask it tends to fog my safety glasses. I read in one catalog of a paper mask that had a valve and it didn't fog the glasses. I can't remember which catalog now. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
HLW,
I run my dust collector hose over to the backside of the lathe and bungie cord it on. It doesn't catch the chips, which are not a problem anyway, but does catch the dust when sanding and also the sawdust and chips when drilling. The paper particle masks are really not the good. Keeps the low flying birds out of your mouth, that's about it. Check woodcraft, rocklers, etc. They all offer better respiratory protection. Just depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to wear. Bill Grumbine wore one of the full faceshields with a fitted rubber seal and a battery pack on his belt that operated a fan that drew filtered air into the faceshield. Very nice, but would take a little getting used to and I believe he said it was somewhere around 600.00. Course, in the whole scheme of things, that's a small price to pay to keep your lungs clean.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've noticed the same issue with safety glasses fogging with the dust mask. I have a 1/2 face respirator I use for sanding. I don't have a lathe yet so I don't know how much dust they produce but I don't know anyone who would tell you not to wear a mask if you feel you need it.

Both Home Depot and Lowes carry the valve type of mask. If they are not convenient you could order them from McMaster Carr or Graingers.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Resprirators

Thanks to all for the reply. I've got some ideas that I will try. I also found the catalog (www.leevalley.com) that had the paper mask respirator with exhalation valve that points down so as to not fog the eye wear. Penn State Ind. also sales a magnetic dust hood that attaches to the lathe that looks like a good possibility for dust elimination.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts