Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of right now I am a hobby Turner. Probably turn 3-4 times a week.

I have no dust collection and really don't want COPD when I get older due to wood dust.

So what respirators (within reasonable cost) do you guys recommend? I am assuming this is imperative, a MUST have!?

I'm hoping for a half mask that fits under my face shield.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Some things to keep in mind:

1. Your respirator is only as good as its filters and the seal between the mask and your face.

2. For dust you are going to want a particulate filter. Typically identified by P95, P99, P100. The difference in # is the percentage of material
A stopped which are greater than 0.5 microns in size. For most applications and unless you have a specific concern, the P95 should work just fine.

3. Ensure there is nothing breaking the seal between your face and the seal. This includes facial hair, mustaches, etc.

If you have a real concern, maybe speak with a safety company in your area for some recommendations and the once you pick out a mask, have a quantitative fit test performed using your mask to see exactly how good it works for you.

Mark

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Some things to keep in mind:

1. Your respirator is only as good as its filters and the seal between the mask and your face.

2. For dust you are going to want a particulate filter. Typically identified by P95, P99, P100. The difference in # is the percentage of material
A stopped which are greater than 0.5 microns in size. For most applications and unless you have a specific concern, the P95 should work just fine.

3. Ensure there is nothing breaking the seal between your face and the seal. This includes facial hair, mustaches, etc.

If you have a real concern, maybe speak with a safety company in your area for some recommendations and the once you pick out a mask, have a quantitative fit test performed using your mask to see exactly how good it works for you.

Mark
Burb hit it on the head. The fit is paramount. I use both 3M and North half masks and they are really good. But whatever one you buy, make sure it's one you can get the replacement filters for. I have to get North filters off the internet, which is OK if you can wait for them, not so much if you need them quickly. Another point was the one made by tvman. If you don't use it, it doesn't really matter what kind you buy.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I use the 3M respirators (P100) like, or similar, to these. They are good for 160 hours of use but I normally trash mine in probably 50 hours max. That is still a lot of sanding or shop clean-up. As you can see the seal is wide and they are rated the same as the plastic half face. About the same $$$ as replacement filters for the harder plastic. They are the 100% and filter down to 0.3 microns which is as good or better than the $300+ units. I have never had the elastic wear out or become weak.
If you scroll down on the page you will see a similar pack of 10 each, P95 for $11.00 Same 0.3 micron but only rated at 95%. I bought a pack of these for shop visitors (a lot better than nothing) and just trash them for a buck each.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-8293-OSH...ultDomain_0&hash=item33886b27ab#ht_1808wt_998

You may be able to find similar at a local drug store to try them out. I'm not the above is the exact ones I have without checking my shop for the number; 3M make a lot of different one for different uses.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I have plenty of good advice and options here.

Is a full mask respirator worth the cost?

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Ack said:
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I have plenty of good advice and options here. Is a full mask respirator worth the cost?
While they typically use the same filters, they also provide eye/face protection. If you wear glasses, this is an issue. However, they are generally less comfortable to wear over longer periods of time and are hotter to wear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts