Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oils someone tell me where to find the materials to do inlays in bowls. I thought I would try just filling some cracks first. Thanks!
Joey

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I use epoxy and minerals, etc. not that hard, takes some practice, somewhat of a learning curve as with anything else.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes sir, InLace is a manufacturer of inlay material. Are they the only manufacturer out there? Can you just mix to make other colors?

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
The best I can tell, InLace is just polyester resin with a colored stone mixed in but Im no scientist!

·
7,222 Posts
The best I can tell, InLace is just polyester resin with a colored stone mixed in but Im no scientist!
A good call. It is indeed polyester resin, the same used in fibreglass, mixed with different coloured powders or pigments.

The smell of this was the same as when I had to repair a fibreglass boat crack some decades ago. Clue #2 is the MEK hardener.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You can get the colored stone cheaper at WalMart in the pet supplies area - it's for fish tanks.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You can get the colored stone cheaper at WalMart in the pet supplies area - it's for fish tanks.
Whoa! That's true but the hardness of the stones will be variable and likely waaaaay harder than what you'd want to run your chisel over in an inlay.:yes::yes: Matters to me because I fill voids and still turn the piece to get that smooth look and feel---bumpy inlays are not attractive.
Turquoise and malachite themselves aren't all that hard (referring to the hardness#), others won't be as bad in fragment or particulate form for inlays--what you'll run into is color change (dull) as some minerals are ground.

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
I'm with Doc re: the workability of Malachite and Turquoise. I have some gorgeous purple stones (I have no idea what they are) that I'd love to use but they are HARD.
The Inlace line offers different colors if Turquoise is not your preference. Again, I don't know what stone (?) they use, but it's workable as well.
Since all of my builds are flat work, sanding is the method I use to flatten the inlay. Even with turquoise, I wouldn't put my blades at risk. I understand that option is not available to turners, though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts