Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a jet band saw that uses a 92" blade I think. I have tried to resaw on it and have not successfully accomplished that. I replace all the guides with a bearing set up bot top and bottom to the tune of $200 and it still wants to follow the grain.
Does the blade make a difference? I have a 1/2 wide blade in there now.
Do you have to set the guide at an angle that is created by the blade?
Any help would be great.

·
7,222 Posts
Does the blade make a difference? I have a 1/2 wide blade in there now.
Do you have to set the guide at an angle that is created by the blade?
Any help would be great.
Yes the blade makes a big difference.

Watch the band saw tuning video in the earlier reply. Check all the details mentioned by Alex Snodgrass in the video.

Then get a blade specifically for re-sawing. Fewer teeth and larger gullet are desired.

One source is Timberwolf.
http://timberwolfblades.com/Blade-Selector.php

Another is Highland Hardware
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodslicer12resawbandsawblades138to166.aspx

Even after tuning the blade may exhibit some "drift" which you will have to accept. This is why some bandsaw resaw fences have a central pivot to allow you to move the wood so it is in-line with the direction the blade wants to cut.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That video was great

I watched the whole video and the first adjustments I made were wrong. I am heading to the basement to set it all up again. I will also get blade length and order the proper blade. It was carter bearings I put in so this should all work.

·
7,222 Posts
I watched the whole video and the first adjustments I made were wrong. I am heading to the basement to set it all up again. I will also get blade length and order the proper blade. It was carter bearings I put in so this should all work.
Good. I also learned a lot from the video. I re-checked the details, especially the position of the blade on the upper wheel. It made a difference. The saw runs so much smoother after the tuning based on Alex's recommendations.

By the way, 1/2in blade should be fine for resawing, but it needs to be appropriate design for resawing, fewer teeth, etc.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Blade makes a difference. It's not just about the width of the blade, TPI should be right for the thickness of the piece you're cutting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts