Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Laguna 14 | 12 and am using it just about every time I go in my shop especially since I have no table saw. I have had this saw for a few months now and have liked just about everything about it. Ive been using a 115", 1/2", 3 tpi Laguna blade and after a few weeks I'm starting to get smoke coming from the lower part of my band saw. Its not too thick just misty white smoke slightly more noticeable than the usual dust clouds, I can't even smell it. Im not getting any black on my cut edges which is odd. The blade is still cutting nice and straight with no drift, although its noticeably more difficult to cut the thicker stock.

I am still getting used to the ceramic blade guides on the laguna, at times with the thick stock the part of the ceramic thruster that meets the blade back glows yellow and looks like its trying to throw a spark, Im not sure if this is the cause of the smoke or even if it is caused by the blade or if its ok for ceramic to do that. Do I need to invest in a $200 carbide tipped resaw blade, or is there another good resaw blade.

Does anyone have experience with ceramic blade guides doing this?

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
I see white "smoke" sometimes also

I don't think it' smoke, just fine dust. However if your ceramic guides are getting warm, somethin' ain't right. I have European type side guides on my saw and they work just fine, but they are steel.
If you go through and back off all the guides and track the blade on the wheels them bring them in as Alex Snodgrass on You Tube, and others have shown, you should be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts