Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I have seen a number of videos online with people making their own fences for table saws but they seem to always be 1) using their old fence as a base and adding to it or 2) making a fence that goes onto a custom table saw top.

The issue I have is that my current fence is absolute garbage. It's impossible to move and when I can, its not aligned through its whole length often. Its just a nightmare to use. How does one make a brand new fence without creating a table saw surface to use it on? Does anyone have any videos or articles that talk about this? I would really appreciate any help. I need to make a new fence badly!

·
Premium Member
6,763 Posts
Pics of saw with fence in place and pics with fence parts laying on top of table. Hopefully that will be all that might be needed so as give an idea of what we are looking at.

·
where's my table saw?
32,273 Posts
Hey All,

I have seen a number of videos online with people making their own fences for table saws but they seem to always be 1) using their old fence as a base and adding to it or 2) making a fence that goes onto a custom table saw top.

The issue I have is that my current fence is absolute garbage. It's impossible to move and when I can, its not aligned through its whole length often. Its just a nightmare to use. How does one make a brand new fence without creating a table saw surface to use it on? Does anyone have any videos or articles that talk about this? I would really appreciate any help. I need to make a new fence badly!
Fences are pretty simple pieces of equipment.
There's a long bar, the fence itself and a head attached much like a "T" square.
Inside the head there's typically a lever actuated cam that compresses the head against the front rail, typically a rectangular 2' X 3" tube about4 to 6 ft long.
When the head is compressed against the front tubing it must align the fence at 90 degrees to the front rail and typically there is some play in the attachment to allow for adjusting it.

Rather that make one, I recommend this approach which will give you the equivalent of a Bisemeyer fence, the Industry Standaed in table saw fences for much less money:

I have a Delta Unifence which I also like a lot and it has and adjustable fence extrusion:
Wood Rectangle Flooring Gas Plank

I have even made my own fence front rail and head from aluminum I milled on the table saw.
After getting the Unifences I abandoned the DIT version I made since the Unifence was so much better!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey All,

Sorry for the delay. It's been a week :S

Here are some pics of the saw and the fence below. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the video woodnthings but if you look at my pics, my fence and saw don't support this really unless I can change my table some way to accommodate the features of that fence. I would be willing to look into that, I am just not sure where to start.

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Grille Wood

Wood Road surface Floor Flooring Rectangle

Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Floor Bumper

Wood Automotive exterior Gas Rectangle Composite material

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
32,273 Posts
That's the exact same fence that was on my saw(s).
I didn't like it, but struggled with it for years, until I get my Delta Unifences.
I think a made my own head piece for one of them, OR modified one, can't recall.
I know why you want to replace it!
If you do put $300 into a new fence such as the VSCT one I posted, that saw will turn into a precision cutting machine and you won't regret it.
The fence is the "heart" of a tablesaw and most folks don't realize it until they get a crappy one.

Reactions: B Coll

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really appreciate the suggestion woodnthings but I definitely cannot sink $300 into a fence right now. I'm a beginner so I can't justify that cost quite yet. One day! That's why I was looking at building my own fence to keep the costs down.

·
where's my table saw?
32,273 Posts
I really appreciate the suggestion woodnthings but I definitely cannot sink $300 into a fence right now. I'm a beginner so I can't justify that cost quite yet. One day! That's why I was looking at building my own fence to keep the costs down.
I'll check and see if I may have that modified one and see what condition it's in...

·
where's my table saw?
32,273 Posts
As an experiment in simplicity, I made a fence for my Craftsman bandsaws.
I used two panels of 3/4" plywood as described in this thread, post number 2:

Wood Flooring Gas Tool Machine tool

A later improvement was the addition of a "T" type head which "self-squares" it to the front rail.

Wood Milling Hardwood Gas Workbench
Table saws Wood Floor Flooring Gas
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Natural material Lumber

1 - 10 of 10 Posts