Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
amateur
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I just replaced the three knives on my Delta JT-360 (a 6 inch jointer). While I *think* that I have done a fairly decent job ensuring that the setup is correct, I suppose that I will never really know until I use it to joint some stock.

My question is this, what feedback from your stock to you get to know if your jointer knives are set correctly, or more importantly, set incorrectly?

Thanks.

Greg

·
Registered
653 Posts
After you make a pass look at the cut see if there is any cupping. This is caused by 2 things either the blades ( or one) have not been set at the right height or you are too deep and fast. You can also tell a lot by the sound. If it sounds smooth and not very loud it tells me that things are going well.

·
Registered
26,955 Posts
If all three knives are cutting in unison the edge should look almost like you jointed the edge with a hand plane. If there is distinct mill marks on the edge then one or more knives is not cutting.

·
amateur
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. As it turns out I did a pretty good job. I was expecting the worse and was pleasantly surprised.

Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts