Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had to replace hand wheels on craftsman TS due to being too hard to raise or lower blade.After cleaning and lubing threads in only a few days it is nearly impossible to raise or lower blade.i wonder if using a larger handwheel would help.Will be replacing saw as soon as money is available,but need to use this one until that day comes(hopefully soon).

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
The hand wheel shouldn't be the problem. Somewhere your getting build up that's restricting the movement. Often saws that had moving parts oiled or greased will get sawdust building up and drying to almost a thick paste.

Best option is to clean the entire trunion system and lubricate with a dry lubricant that doesn't attract dust.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
I have two old Craftsman saws. One is all gunked up and wont crank. The other spins freely with one finger. The difference is how they were taken care of. Clean it all out real good and lube it up. New handwheels wont solve your problem.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My C-man was hard to raise the blade. I too thought I needed a larger hand wheel. I cleaned the threads and lubed and now it works great.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.
I think this saw just doesn't like me. I have taken the trunnions out and cleaned and lubed ithem several times,but it always is hard to raise blade after a couple weeks. The saw is used daily so this is a major hassle.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Did you really get the old lube cleaned out......like brake cleaner and brass brush cleaned out???

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't use the wire brush but I think you are right.
I'll give the brush and solvent a try before lubing it. Thanks for the solution.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
No problem.....harbor freight sells cheap brass brushes for like 59 cents or something like that......I'd get a couple of those.....a can of brake cleaner......and scrub away.....it takes ALOT of scrubbing to get it all out of the threads.....but it will work SOOOOOOOOO much better when your done....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts