Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 14" 1/2 hp mystery band saw that haven't been able to identify yet. It looks similar to an old harbor freight but has a few differences. My mother has an old craftsman 1 hp band saw that is missing several parts and is rarely used. How easy or possible would it be to put the 1 hp motor from her craftsman into my 14" so I could start giving re-sawing a try?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not too difficult. Check to see if they are both the same speed (1725 or 3450 RPM). If they are different speeds, you will need to get new pulleys. If the mounting holes are not the same, plan on drilling some new ones. If the pulleys are different sized, you might be able to swap with the old one otherwise you will need to get a proper sized pulley for the new motor. You may also wind up needing a different sized belt if you can't get the existing one to tension properly.

Note: a 1/2Hp motor is plenty for most re-sawing work. It's the blade that does the work, not really the motor. I have a 1/2HP on my Delta and routinely re-saw hardwood without a problem.

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know... I had heard several people say that 1 hp was the minimum but i will give it a try with me 4 tpi 3/8 blade

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just to make you feel better, here is an excerpt from the 1950 Delta manual regarding motor sizing for their 14" Band Saw (both wood and metal):

"For most work around the small shop or home work-shop a good 1/3HP motor will be found to have ample power for this machine. [...] For steady production work using wide blades, or whenever the Height Attachment is used for cutting heavy and thick stock, a good 1/2HP Repulsion-Induction motor should be used."

Cheers,
Brad

·
where's my table saw?
29,617 Posts
you can't have too much horsepower....

I have a 14" with 1 HP motor and it resaws just fine. A 1/2" HP motor would be on the minimum for a 14" saw in my opinion....go for it! :yes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts