Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The main question: Can anyone point me to where I could get an exact or equivalent replacement hinge for the item in the attached pictures?

Background:

The hinge broke on a kitchen cabinet. I'm not a cabinet pro but fancy myself handy enough to replace it. Problem is I don't know where to order a replacement or what words to use in asking for the right thing.

The trickiest part is that the method of attaching to the cabinet door is tool-less. The hinge clamps to the door using a built-in mechanism. I thought I'd get a normal screw-in type hinge but the door is drilled out where the screws would go so there's nothing to screw into. I must find another "clamp-on" style of hinge.

The hinge does have a visible word that might be a brand or model logo, but I'm not familiar with the product and the script is such that I can't make out the word. I've tried Google for any spellings I can think of but still come up empty.

I'm stuck, please help :)

Attachments

·
Registered
28,402 Posts
You won't get that color for one thing. A painter has painted the hinges. What we need to know is if the door was inset or did it overlap the opening. If it did overlap the opening, how much did it overlap the opening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The doors overlap the face of the cabinet. On the "hinge side" of the door I'd say it's about 5/8" (but hard to give "exact" because I have to open the door a bit to be able to see what I'm measuring). So hopefully that's an amount that makes sense.

·
Registered
28,402 Posts
The hinge you have has a faceplate backplate. You might just call a hardware company and tell them you need a hinge you can adjust to a 5/8" overlay with a faceplate backplate and let them figure the parts you need. The hinge is also a clip on type hinge which is convenient when removing the doors.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
bvesco, I don't know where you live, but if there's a somewhat large city near you, there might be a distributor of cabinet hardware who carries European hinges. If not, Google Euro hinges and make some calls and find one who will sell retail to you. Then you tell them the following info: Is it an overlay or inset door? If it is an overlay door, how far exactly does it overlap the face of the cabinet? Is the mounting plate mounted on the edge of a face frame, or is it mounted on the inside wall of the cabinet? (that's called "box mount") Approximately what degree of opening of the door does the hinge allow? (some will open about 110 degrees, some will go to 170 degrees, and some are in between those)

With that information, they would be able to choose the correct hinges and mounting plates for you. Those catalogs and numbers can be HUGELY difficult to decipher, I know. As for brands, Blum is good, Salice is good, Grass is okay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.