Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What’s best way to repair this damage from inpatient Servpro service. Notably to make the drawer rail stay secure when I screw it in It was water damage I was not home for
I have taken this drawer out easily myself many times. They also pulled my extension cord out from my fridge for their dryers and payed me for rotten food I’d just as soon repair it myself now

·
Registered
28 Posts
IDK what "inpatient Servpro service" means, but the knife makes it look like there may be some blood and bodies laying about...

I'd use epoxy over wood glue, b/c epoxy is a structural glue, which to me means that it's strong as a filler as well as a means to stick stuff back together.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No No there was no crime besides the flood repair contractor roughing up my cabinets sorry. I just used knife to show the cracked wood length better So what squeeze as much epoxy or wood glue as I can with a syringe fine tipped bottle and clamp it, used some wood filler to smooth out rough edges? Shoot a rail or screw into it or that will crack it?

Should it be as solid as before if done right for the drawer rails to be screwed down again to secure them? Would u be pissed if they did this to your cabinets

·
Read Only
55 Posts
Because it is not completely, just the glue should hold it To get equal pressure on the clamp there should be a block of wood to equalize the pressure. I also put a piece of plastic bag between the trim and block so the glue does not break the piece loose.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
That split looks like all you need to do is get glue into it as completely as possible and clamp it closed. Any wood glue should do it. Structurally, it should be OK after that. Then, some wood filler will take care of the other gouges.
I am unclear what you mean by "screwing down the drawer rails". Further info is needed as that seems to be a separate issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I assume they just busted the drawer rail off versus ligfting up the clip to allow it to come out.u can see where the screw hole is. I’ll just us a long screw also maybe drill pilot hole to keep it from splitting

·
Registered
Termite
8,785 Posts
You should be fine with basic repairs. The weight of the drawer rest on the wood rail.. once mounted the screw will simply keep it in place..I would glue everything I could and predrill for the screws so you don't crack the repair...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Once the big split is repaired and the other gouges filled you should be able to re-screw the drawer slide back on. If the screw holes are stripped out (too large), you can glue in some wood match sticks or 2-3 wood toothpicks to fill the hole. Then re-install the slide and screws. Check the plastic clip in the rear to make sure it is still secure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So heres another hack job. This was a writing desk just off the kitchen/dinette next to the cabinet. The flooring had to be replaced so this all came out. A smart fella would have removed the heavy granite top which was simply siliconed down, then unscrewed the unit in one piece from the studs after removing the drawers. They just had to climb under with a screwdriver u can see the screw holes for the studs. But no lets tear it apart. I e-mailed them with pictures asking same question got no reply back but "we will fix it".

·
Registered
799 Posts
Let me get this straight: A professional cleaning service came in to take care of flood damage and in the process, because of the workers' negligence and wrecklessness, unplugged your refrigerator, smashed up some of your furniture and fixtures, and you're left to make repairs?
Because let me say, breaking a drawer frame like that doesn't come from yanking just a little to hard. That comes from seriously muscling the drawer apart. Like put your foot against it to brace for the heave-ho.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
U guys are awesome though man! Thanks Im off to get some braided icemaker line, syringe and my glue is dried up so glue. I was a catholic school kid my dad a dentist busy with 6 kids was never taught this stuff or my dad never got incompetent contractors. Though it looks easy I like to go to forums to learn how to do it right not from trial. Like the plastic bag trick never would of thought that!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts