Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll take a pic of this tonight… but I have an order of walnut ply that had some slight “cracks” in the walnut veneer and the lighter colored wood from underneath is showing. Would there be something good to hide this with some color? Maybe just stain the area or one of those color sticks?

The finish is going to be a coat of Danish oil followed by general finishes seal-o-cell and wipe on poly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Nick, If you have a full 3/4x4x8 sheet that you paid a lot of money for, there's no way you should have accepted it with that kind of marring.

For the $100+ a sheet I recently paid, I was looking that thing over for the slightest dent, scratch or crack in the veneer before taking it.

If it was free, than I guess it doesn't owe you anything.

Actually though, the Danish oil will fill it in nicely especially if you use the Watco medium or dark walnut. My concern would be moisture getting through what has already been exposed and begin lifting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a pic:

To tell you the truth I should be able to work around this "defect" for this project. But it might be good to use this section on something else in the future.

ALSO, this surface is pretty smooth. Would you bother sanding at all before finishing? My noob self is afraid to sand though the veneer.

joesdad,

this was a 20 buck piece of wood I got off the net (1/4" x 2' x 4'). One corner was a little damaged from shipping. But not bad enough to send it back (making this project for a present, and didn't have the time to).

·
Registered
979 Posts
If it's black walnut it will darken 3x once you apply a finish, even clear.
That's a really small blemish and it's close to that dark strand so it should blend right in. Only you will know where it is/was after you're done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts