Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am completely clueless in woodworking or wood repair and was hoping to get some advice! I have some great memories growing up playing ping pong in my grandmother's basement on her homemade (I think) table. When she passed away in 1993 I took the table and stored it away until I (finally) had room to set it up in my new home just this year. After all these years, during the recent move, the corner was damaged (see attached pictures). No one remembers damaging it but it appears something hit or was dropped on it. The table is in great condition otherwise but I'm worried this may have made it unsalvageable. I'm not even sure what kind of wood its made of but I'm definitely up for some trips to a home improvement store and a few hours of work before I give up - any advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
28,388 Posts
From what I can see it would probably be easier to put a new top on the table. If you choose to repair it all you can do is work wood glue under the veneer and clamp it. You can put plastic package sealing tape on a scrap boards to keep the glue from sticking and sandwich the top between the boards to flaten it and protect the top from damage from the clamps. If you can get all the splinters glued down then you could level the surface with bondo and put a fresh coat of paint on it. The table will have lead based paint on it so if you believe all the government bull you might protect yourself from breathing the dust working on it.

·
Registered
13,541 Posts
From what I can see it would probably be easier to put a new top on the table. If you choose to repair it all you can do is work wood glue under the veneer and clamp it. You can put plastic package sealing tape on a scrap boards to keep the glue from sticking and sandwich the top between the boards to flaten it and protect the top from damage from the clamps. If you can get all the splinters glued down then you could level the surface with bondo and put a fresh coat of paint on it. The table will have lead based paint on it so if you believe all the government bull you might protect yourself from breathing the dust working on it.
Yes, new top. At least that half of the top that is damaged.

It would be very difficult, if even possible to repair top to playability.

A new piece of plywood is cheap.

George

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.