Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do I get that wood veneer stuff off of a solid wood cedar chest? I found one in a cleanout job that the veneer is pealing off and I need to get it all off so I can finish the wood. thanks

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Couldn't you use a scraper and peel it off?
Are you looking to remove the old and veneer it again? Got any pics?

·
Registered
26,896 Posts
If you are going to strip the piece anyway I would strip it and rinse the residue with water and while it's wet use a hot iron with a dripping wet rag and steam the veneer off. I have also used a wallpaper steamer to lift veneer.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
A hot iron will loosen the glue on the veneer. Just so you know, the substrate under the veneer is probably either plywood or glued up of random pieces of solid wood. It may not be pretty or they wouldn't have used veneer.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
top is poplar and the sides are cedar. no im not veneering it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What do plan on doing then? Paint grade? You can use a glue bottle with lacquer thinner and a putty knife to remove it. Peel up an end and introduce the thinner and use the knife to remove it from the substrate.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
What do plan on doing then? Paint grade? You can use a glue bottle with lacquer thinner and a putty knife to remove it. Peel up an end and introduce the thinner and use the knife to remove it from the substrate.

That method is not very effective with most glued veneer. It's a method common to remove Formica type laminate glued with contact cement.

·
Registered
26,896 Posts
What you are doing may not work. Usually a piece of furniture is made like lumber core plywood with veneer on both sides with a solid core. If you just remove the veneer off of one side it could create an imbalance and cause it to warp as the one side you stripped even if you finish it will be exposed to moisture more than the other side. Normally if you remover veneer it’s best to put veneer back the same way it was originally done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts