Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I developed a crack on a small project I am working on, it was nothing major and easily fixed with a couple drops of super glue.
The problem is that the glue seeped into the surrounding wood causing a stain and since the piece is hard maple and walnut,
the stain is really noticeable. I know sanding will work, but the piece is quite small and if I do that, it will change the final dimensions.
I saw that there are dozens of ways to remove super glue, from mayonnaise to mineral oil and orange peels, but none of then address staining.
I know acetone will work, but the piece I'm working on has self adhesive walnut veneer on it and acetone will dissolve the veneer glue and delaminate.

Does anyone have any methods that really work?

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
4,556 Posts
can you post a photo of the piece in question as well as a good photo of the stained area ??

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
4,556 Posts
are you going to apply a clear coat of some sort ?
I would make a test strip of the white maple end grain and dab some super glue on it and test with the clear coat products you intend to use. (nothing ventured = nothing gained) try to imitate what the spoiled piece is.
Option #2: (if it really bothers you after the clear is applied; make a new dominio).

·
Registered
27,296 Posts
I think even if you had a super glue solvent handy it would have left a stain. Wood glue would have been a better adhesive and the excess is easily washed off with a wet rag. I think now the only way to get rid of the stain is to sand it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

I'll make a test piece and see what happens when I put a clear coat over the stained area.
I didn't think of putting CA glue on all the edges, I like that. The only thing is, and as you saw, the CA glue darkens the wood, so to keep uniformity,
I'll have to do all 28 pieces.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I had that happen when turning 3" hand mirrors. I noticed a small crack develop and used ca glue, which also went into the surrounding wood. I thought sanding would be enough... but when I dyed it with a water dye the sealed wood appeared again. Never again.

I doubt in your case that it would be noticeable if you sealed all the edges with more ca glue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts