Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a piece of furniture with walnut trim finished with catalyzed lacquer, satin sheen. At some point this piece was made contact with a door frame and got scuffed in a manner in which the door frame's paint was sort of 'bonded' onto the wood. Note that neither of these items were freshly finished, both the walnut furniture and door frame's latex paint had cured for several years. See attached (poor quality) pic.
I'm sure you guys have seen this sort of thing.

I'd like to remove the white scuff marks as successfully as possible without having to sand and refinish. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions as to:
A.) what techniques to try
B.) hierarchy of invasiveness, i.e. further damaging the finish, these various techniques pose.

If nothing works and/or after all is said and done it ends up looking hideous, I'll eventually sand and refinish the effected areas. I just do not have the time to do that now or in the near future (and I no longer wish to work with catalyzed lacquer due to health concerns).

Thanks a bunch for any ideas.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Naphtha will disolve latex paint without doing anything to enamel or lacquer. Just put a little on a rag and clean the paint off.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I have removed latex spray splatter from lacquer with a damp cloth. Just rub a little bit and it comes off. The latex had been on the lacquer for years.

It may work on your chair also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts