Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The screw in my EZ finisher is stuck. I'm on the verge of stripping the hex recess in the screw or bending the Allen wrench. I've marinated it in PB Blaster with no luck. I thought I'd check here for tips before applying heat.

·
Yea i got wood
3,016 Posts
i had one get stuck too and ended up using a old screwdriver like a chisel and used it to jar it lose
tapping sideways on the head

·
Registered
470 Posts
The screw in my EZ finisher is stuck. I'm on the verge of stripping the hex recess in the screw or bending the Allen wrench. I've marinated it in PB Blaster with no luck. I thought I'd check here for tips before applying heat.
If heat is to be applied, torque the hex key to its maximum and retain that torque before applying the heat to minimize the heat necessary.

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
Once you get it out, be careful not to over tighten the new screw. They don't need to be really torqued down. Keep the threads clean whenever you change out the bit.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
That would take a really small easy out!

I dont have any advice for removing it but when you get it out, put a little dab of grease on the screw threads. I was watching a video from EZW awhile back and they reccomend that. Ive done it from the beginning with my RusDemka EZ tools and I havnt had one stick yet.:thumbsup:

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
BassBlaster said:

I dont have any advice for removing it but when you get it out, put a little dab of grease on the screw threads. I was watching a video from EZW awhile back and they reccomend that. Ive done it from the beginning with my RusDemka EZ tools and I havnt had one stick yet.:thumbsup:
My tools were designed to make sure the screw never jams up lol.. Just kidding. A little oil helps, i never got my screws to jam up..

·
Registered
12,931 Posts

Could be. I have no idea of what is an EZ finisher.

There are very small EZ outs.

G

·
Registered
31 Posts
Use tape one the cutter edge and with plies make a 1/4 turn of the cutter and you will the be able to remove the screw

·
Registered
382 Posts
To keep the screw from jamming up you need to blunt the first thread. ( grind away the sharp edge of the first thread )

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This occurred to me last night.....

Since I have access to both the head of the screw and the underside of the screw, I was thinking about giving it a smack using a piece of Allen key on the head head and a nail set from the underside to see if that will shake it loose. That would provide a little shock in each direction. Does anyone think this is a bad idea?

·
7,222 Posts
I am not sure a rap on either end will do anything, but I do not think it will break anything.

I think the suggestion to use the cutter for more leverage may break this loose.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The idea of using the cutter for leverage is a good one, but I'm almost certain I'll end up chipping it and I'm not quite ready to replace it.

·
Yea i got wood
3,016 Posts
My advice earlier will work
my dad had one stuck and i got it out that way
Tapping it in the direction it needs to unscrew works like and impact wrench and will jar it loose with no damage to anything else
except the screw of course

·
Registered
473 Posts
You've been given a couple of methods that should have worked. If you still haven't gotten it, you may want to try an impact screwdriver. The type you strike and it rotates/breaks loose stuck screws/fasteners.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My advice earlier will work
my dad had one stuck and i got it out that way
Tapping it in the direction it needs to unscrew works like and impact wrench and will jar it loose with no damage to anything else
except the screw of course

I have to apologize - I missed your earlier post. I clamped the tool in a vise and dug a nail set into the screw and gave it a few whacks; worked like a champ! The screw has a divot in it, but it's still good to go. Thanks for the tip and the perseverance to make sure I didn't overlook it!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You can buy no seez at automotive stores. Rub just a tiny bit on the taper of the screw and it won't lock up. I do this on my chuck screws occasionally as well.
If one gets stuck use PB blaster. put a drop on and tap the screw. The vibrations help get it to penetrate. It might take a day or two. Also t helps sometimes to grind the end of the wrench square so it's really sharp before inserting int in the screw.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts