Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend whose sister painter her guitar and now she wants to remove the paint. Any advice on how to do this. I never refinished anything so delicate. My suggestion was paint remover and fine steel wool so as not to remove any of the wood. Any suggestions on type of remover to use or a better method and any suggestions of the final finish.

·
Registered
26,886 Posts
I would just remove the hardware and if possible any plastic parts and strip it with a methylene chloride remover. Use the remover above 70 degrees and depending on brand let the remover soak for 15 to 20 minutes re-applying stripper to the spots that dry and brush the paint off with a brass stripping brush. If the finish doesn't come off soak it for a longer time until the finish pretty much wipes off. Let the remover do the work. Then as quickly as you can after you get the paint off rinse the residue off with lacquer thinner frequently changing rags. If the guitar has plastic parts that can't be removed you might use citristrip remover. It is a milder remover and will take more elbow grease but is safer with the plastic. Just be careful with the stripping practice to not get anything inside the guitar if it is an acoustic guitar. It may affect the sound of the instrument.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
If the binding on the guitar was not wood, it is likely celluloid and could soften or dissolve very quickly if solvent based paint strippers are used. If the paint is lacquer and the old finish is (was) lacquer, chances are the paint has "burned in" to the lacquer and removing the paint will also mean removing the original lacquer. Finishing a guitar with lacquer and buffing it out is an art form learned through practice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts