Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's grandfather made a cedar chest when she was a young girl and it was recently shipped out here to the west coast. Unfortunately, it reeks of mothballs. I have searched online extensively and have found no certain methods of removing that odor. Anybody ever deal with this successfully? I have tried sanding a significant amount of wood off the interior surfaces to no avail.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The smell will eventually dissipate if you leave the chest open and allow air to flow through/around it, but it could take weeks. I have heard of using activated charcoal sachets. Put one or more into the chest and close it up. I've never tried it, and don't know how much/many sachets to use, but that is one of the main uses of activated charcoal - absorbing odors. If you could, I'd also place a small fan in the chest with the charcoal to circulate the air through the sachets.

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
Like trc65 said it needs ventilation to really get rid of the mothball smell. You could speed things up by washing the inside of the box with a mild bleach or vinegar. They too smell but dissipate quicker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts