Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bad roof leak while we were traveling causing a huge rust problem. I cleaned up the rust, but there is a lot of black stain left over. I don’t want to spend the time sanding it down to bare metal and want to know if rubbing compound will clean it up. I haven’t waxed a car in over 50 years and don’t remember how it works.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
6,076 Posts
The dark stain remains even when you get the rust off. I restored my PM 66 from heavy rust and it still has dark spots but the top is very slick. I sanded with a hard block and with orbital.

·
where's my table saw?
31,291 Posts
I also had a roof leak right over my newest 10" Craftsman hybrid table saw.
I first sprayed the entire table with PB Blaster and let it soak in for a few hours.
I wiped most of it off, then used my ROS with a 100 grit then a 320 grit pad.
Yes, there was a black stain, so I sprayed some Evaporust on it and let that work for several hours.
By then, it was almost gone and good enough to "pass" for my tastes.
I then used Johnson Paste all over and let it dry, the buffed it out.
Until the leak got fixed, just recently, I spread a heavy tarp raised up on three sides which made any more drips funnel into a 5 gal bucket.

Reactions: Scurvy and Sleeper

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I probably shouldn't even worry about it, I may just wax it and if it really bothers me, I'll work on it another time when I don't have so much to do.
I have a steel building guy working on an estimate to build a 32x45 steel roof over the entire existing shop roof to help shade the building from the hot sun in the summer and prevent anymore leaks instead of patching it...

·
Registered
mechanical engineering
251 Posts
Here is the one I used.

It does not remove the good metal like some of the acid based types. like Naval gel rust remover. great for really bad rust. not really good for wood working equipment.

evapo-rust will be not fast but it safe. where the Naval gel can and will cause severe acid burns of the skin.
evapo-rust it does last a long time. reuse it a lot.

I have good luck using this product.

watch price $22 for a gal.vs $19 for 1/2 gal
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: Evapo-Rust ER012 Super Safe Rust Remover – 128 oz., Non Toxic Rust Remover for Auto Parts, Hardware, Antiques | Rust Removers and Chemicals : Tools & Home Improvement
Amazon.com: Evapo-Rust ER012 Super Safe Rust Remover – 128 oz., Non Toxic Rust Remover for Auto Parts, Hardware, Antiques | Rust Removers and Chemicals : Tools & Home Improvement
www.amazon.com

gel type 8 oz for $11
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: Evapo-Rust ER088 Rust Removal Gel – 8 oz., Rust Remover for Vertical Surfaces | Rust Cleaner and Removers : Automotive
Buy Evapo-Rust ER088 Rust Removal Gel – 8 oz., Rust Remover for Vertical Surfaces | Rust Cleaner and Removers: Corrosion & Rust Inhibitors - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reactions: Bob Bengal

·
Registered
26 Posts
not a paste wax guy personally. i use boeshield. that first board almost flies off the table...
And Boeshield doesn't get on the wood and interfere with finishes? That'd be interesting, I might try that next go around (I have used paste wax in the past, but it's kind of annoying, and Boeshield would be less work).

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
One thing I can tell you, do NOT use Ospho. DAMHIKT........

The dark stains I consider "patina" and wouldn't waste any time trying to erase it.

I use both wax and Boeshield. I like the Boeshield b/c I can put it on and wipe it off in a minute or two to slicken a table. You can also use Boeshield on planes and chisels, but I use Jotoba on them.

Boeshield is a little pricey but lasts a long time. Somewhere I read there is a simple recipe you can make it yourself.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i find Boeshield can be grabby if there’s too much buildup, so you need to wipe/buff it off. That puts you right back at the work needed for Johnson’s paste was, which is harder and slicker. And probably lasts longer.

i wish there were better options….

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
i find Boeshield can be grabby if there’s too much buildup, so you need to wipe/buff it off. That puts you right back at the work needed for Johnson’s paste was, which is harder and slicker. And probably lasts longer.

i wish there were better options….
i have learned to not over apply. my experience is that it lasts as long or longer than paste wax... jmho

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a bad roof leak while we were traveling causing a huge rust problem. I cleaned up the rust, but there is a lot of black stain left over. I don’t want to spend the time sanding it down to bare metal and want to know if rubbing compound will clean it up. I haven’t waxed a car in over 50 years and don’t remember how it works.
I Use Chrome wheel cleaner from the auto parts store. works great and leaves a wax coat

1 - 19 of 19 Posts